Question

danbendanben Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

This forum is great :)
This Saturday I am going for my Network+ exam. I feel that I am OK prepared but not 100%. There are so many acronyms to remember MY GOD!!
Anyhow for the ones who already took the test, are there any binary conversion questions in the test....if so how many?
What should I focus more on? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The stuff that aways gave me the hardest time was memorizing all the different fiber cable/connector types, their speeds and distances. You may also (probably) will get a couple of questions on novell, ipx, frame types that always messed me up and appletalk. Otherwise this exam is pretty much a cake walk for anyone who has a couple of years experience, so if that describes you you'll do fine. Beginners might have a little more trouble, but still the passing score is pretty easy to hit if you studied.

Good luck! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
    danben wrote:
    Anyhow for the ones who already took the test, are there any binary conversion questions in the test....if so how many?
    What should I focus more on? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Sorry, it looks like I missed a couple of your questions.

Binary - I honestly don't remember if there were any or not. Good to know though, and it would make for a couple of easy questions.

Focus on Windows command line utilities (and the linux ones are close in a couple of cases, but the focus will be Windows) like netstat, ipconfig, ping, nbtstat, and nslookup. Know your network services and functions, like the difference between WINS and DNS. KNow what a hosts vs. lmhosts file is. Memorize the common service port numbers like telnet=23, dns=53, smtp=25, http=80, etc. And as I mentioned earlier know your cable types, connectors, and associated distances. Understand topologies. Really, you could get 3-5 questions per topic I mentioned, so having a broad knowledge in all of them is more important than knowing the nitty gritty details of only a couple topics.
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    The stuff that aways gave me the hardest time was memorizing all the different fiber cable/connector types, their speeds and distances.

This was the same for me.

I took my Net+ last aug and didn't get any binary questions but I didn't really study it as I knew how to subnet etc anyway.....Once you learn binary conversion it usually sticks!

Obviously a knowledge of all objectives is good but the ones I concentrated on were.....remembering protocol port numbers, Cabling standards and the network troubleshooting commands for windows/linux etc that sparkymark mentioned.

Good luck and I hope you'll be posting that you have a pass in the next few days :)
    Oh yeah I forgot......Remember what each layer of the OSI model does
  • danbendanben Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First of all thanks for the encouragemnets :)
    The question is: How similar are the question from the practice exam of this website to the ones actually given at the official test?

Cheers
    danben wrote:
    First of all thanks for the encouragemnets :)
    The question is: How similar are the question from the practice exam of this website to the ones actually given at the official test?

Cheers

The practice questions on this site are based on CompTIA's posted exam objectives, as are many other legitimate practice exams. The questions on the real exam will also be based on those same objectives, so the material you need to know remains the same regardless of the wording of the questions.

Again, good luck to you. Post back with news of your pass. icon_thumright.gif
  • p0etp0et Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's great advice you guys have provided. I'm noticed you mentioned to study up on network troubleshooting applications such as ping, netstat, nbtstat, nslookup. Should we know what each and every one of the /options for each command does or just the general description of what the command accomplishes?

Thanks!
    p0et wrote:
    That's great advice you guys have provided. I'm noticed you mentioned to study up on network troubleshooting applications such as ping, netstat, nbtstat, nslookup. Should we know what each and every one of the /options for each command does or just the general description of what the command accomplishes?

Thanks!

Hey P0et,

You don't need to know every single option for the network + exam i.e. if you go into a command prompt and type netstat ? you will see there are more options than in your Net+ study ref. However it is good practice to familiarise yourself with all commands.

I'll leave finding out what each switch does (that's your job icon_cool.gif )but the ones I made sure that I learned for the Net+ exam, were as follows:

netstat
    -a, -r, -o, -e, -s, -n

nbtstat

-n, -c, -R, -RR, -a netbios name, -S

- What Ifconfig does and which OS it is used in?

ipconfig
    /all
    /release
    /renew
    /flushdns
    /displaydns
    /registerdns
    /showclassid
    /setclassid
    /?

- what is winipcfg?

- Learn to use nslookup

If you do not know already, then another topic that is potentially tricky to remember on the day, is learning and remembering the protocols to provide file sharing between operating systems i.e. samba, services for unix, netware etc

Regards

Malc