BGP+MPLS Booked **UPDATE PASSED **

Well I have finally gone and done it combined MPLS+BGP booked for Thursday, so revision between now and then.

I hope Im not trying to take to much on here, my BGP notes are about 30 pages in contrast to my MPLS notes which are 80 pages icon_eek.gif

Any last minute tips? (mike, Edd, Darby!)

One thing that has worried me is a friend mentioned know MPLS-TE inside out, which arent in the combined or individual exam objectives, or on the Cisco partner E-Learning Video on demands, so if TE features highly then Im sc$£"$%!

Either I am about to save myself the extra $150 of doing 2 exams or Ive doomed myself to failure
Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    icon_eek.gif
    wildfire wrote:
    Any last minute tips?
    Reschedule if you're not ready icon_lol.gif

Since either of the BGP and MPLS exams made the CCIE Written exam seem easy -- doing the BGP+MPLS exam should make the CCIE Lab Exam seem easy icon_lol.gif

Watch the time -- both BGP and MPLS blew my 1 minute per question average. The exhibit questions can take some time to read and figure out.

If you hit a command that doesn't work (even if you can see it with the ?) try the "other command option" -- but hopefully that was just a BGP exam issue.

Hopefully you won't get any "trial/ungraded sims" in the combined exam -- that would just be mean of Cisco. I still think they were mean to me in the BGP exam.... twice.

I read the Traffic Engineering book, but don't think I really needed it. The MPLS Blueprint just mentioned Traffic Enginerring under the Exam Description as part of "The exam will certify that the successful candidate has knowledge and skills necessary to gather information from the technology basics to some of the more updated features and functions such as Traffic Engineering..... " The description then went on to mention the topics the exam covers.....

The blueprint for the combined exam seems a lot simpler than what I remember of the blueprints of the individual exams..... only 3 little sections??? icon_eek.gif Make sure you double check the topics of the BGP and MPLS -- more descriptive and that may provide you with more information for any last minutes study.

Good Luck!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TE was about 20% of my exam, so if i were you i'd start reading.Send me a pm with your email address and i'll send you a good doc on it.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Update: There was a mix up with Days and I had to do it today, thats work schedules for you!

Anyway First my usual rant about Thomson Prometric, endless problems getting the PC running, it was slow loading up the sims and crashed after hitting end exam! so the wait really did feel like forever!

I always try to use VUE these days but they were booked up for weeks I know why ^

The Exam was suprisingly easy to be honest, it should be called "BGP + ermm whats the other thing we are testing oh yeah mpls."

About a 80/20 split, and of that 20% most of it was BGP related.

The TE reading was uncessery as it didnt even feature :) lucky for me its not on the combined objectives so I guess its not in the exam.

Time was fine in and out in 50 minutes, but I do tend to rush the exams in the worry of running out of time, I did this with SND and it was over faster than Tyson vs Bruno!

None of the question were hard, infact I was a little disapointed I had built up this pre-conception I was ready to climb everst and when I got there a mole would have been disapointed with this hill.

The usual Cisco trick of throwing trick type questions, ie the answer was blindlyg obvious then they throw some extra vodoo type commands in to confuse you! my advice stay with what you know.

Thanks for the tip mike, The sims hardly took any commands Im sick now of exams saying " The xxxx command is not supported in this sumulation"

You know the expression theres more than one way to skin a cat (sorry Mike) well not true with Cisco exam sims, Ciscos way or the highway jack!

And the result 1000/1000 so time to celebrate

No more Exams now until the lab, so I can scuttle back to my Dynamips cave and focus back on the CCIE, the BGP and QOS have been a good help towards CCIE, and if MPLS does make it into the lab exam then the force will be with me.

For prep I used the Halabi "internet Routing Achitectures" very good book but more of a theory book than a practical one

Routing TCP/IP volume II

MPLS and VPN Achitectures Vol I

Cisco E-Learning BGP and MPLS --- these are by far the best source

Got to say guys if your working for a cisco partner and not using the E-learning your selling yourself short

the CBT's line up to the exam objectives very well,

The online labs facility is free and has some excellent labs, infact I did an online lab last night and it showed up today icon_cool.gif
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

I'm still going to believe its a hard exam and that you just over-prepared! icon_lol.gif
  • romainromain Member Posts: 222
    Congratulations ! Incredible score !

Keep it up and you'll kill the lab ;)
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats! icon_thumright.gif time to go back in hiding icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    Congratulations!

Thanks for the review.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I'm still going to believe its a hard exam and that you just over-prepared!

Mike is that so you don't feel bad about spending an Extra $150 :P
    wildfire wrote:
    Mike is that so you don't feel bad about spending an Extra $150 :P
    icon_mrgreen.gif Ah Ha! I'm green with envy! That partner e-Learning sounds great!

It would be more than $150 when you take into account the books. icon_lol.gif

I read Volume 1 and 2 plus the Traffic Engineering for MPLS and QoS for IP/MPLS Networks. And since I've taken the exams, I've gotten MPLS Fundamentals, MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software, Definitive MPLS Network Designs, Fault-Tolerant IP and MPLS Networks and MPLS VPN Security -- and I'm still not sure which books I'd suggest as the "minimum reading" for the just the MPLS exam icon_lol.gif

I'm still trying to figure out the TE on the exam -- was it "luck of the draw" or just "perception." Frame Relay traffic shaping and link compression are QoS topics, but without LLQ and CBWFQ questions on an exam, I'd consider those more Frame Relay or PPP questions and not QoS. I might have seen "RSVP" a few times on my MPLS exam -- but not at the level I'd consider as "real" Traffic Engineering questions.

Hey -- Congratulations on the CCIP! I was so dazzled by your exam score that I didn't notice that it also completed the requirements for the CCIP!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats on the score/pass/cert! icon_thumright.gif
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nicely done, so now you have to get the ccvp !!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wow man, nice score, congratulations! :)
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Congrats on the Pass