Options

Direction suggestions for MCP

WLG63WLG63 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

Nice Website.....I'm looking for some help in getting my MCP....why do I want it....I love working w/ computers....both hardware and software.....wanted to get in this field since 2000.....got laid off in early 2001 and had already been working on my MCSD through TechSkills.....I barely missed passing my first exam by just a couple of questions then ran out of money and was forced to go back into the profession i was in when laid off....during that time i got my Assoc. degree in CIS.....sent out hundreds of resumes and did not get one job offer because i didn't have a degree in computers nor a cert.....a friend of mine passes one exam for Windows 2000 and just has his MCP and he is now making almost triple my salary.....I landed a job in my field, CAD, and they were looking for an IT and CAD operator.....Now i find myself getting OTJ training everyday but not the respect as far as pay goes......I am basically the system admin here and the helpdesk person for about 15 users......money is not everything but it sure helps.....I want to use the OTJ training and combine w/ my MCP to increase my salary.....I'm looking into studying for the 70-272 because i work w/ XP and Server 2003 here......

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    if I was in your situation I would take either the 70-270(XP) or the 70-290(server 2003) exams then progress towards an MCSA and eventually MCSE if desired

it seems to be more appropiate to your job role
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Hi,

I would suggest going for MCP->MCDST route first, once you get some experience in the IT field then go for the MCSA then the MCSE.

Remember:

"MCSA candidates should have 6–12 months of experience administering client and network operating systems." - Microsoft

"MCSE candidates should also have at least one year of experience implementing and administering network operating systems and desktop operating systems." - Microsoft

Whereas the 70-271 & 70-272 (for a single MCP, do both and you get your MCDST) are "entry" level microsoft certs. I would also suggest for you to get the A+ & Network+.

Hope this helps

-Ken
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    'Bums on Seat' experience for at least two years is far more valuable than any minor cert. User your time wisely and study the paths the others have recomended and you will be in a very strong position once you have that experience.

Don't get lazy and sit back. This is important and so many don't and have trouble later on. Keep getting the certs and when you get to a certain level, make it known that you have it. Eventually they may get worried and give you a pay hike to keep you or you can simply move onwards and upwards.

Once you have your foot in the door, use the time wisely and don't put all your eggs in one basket. IE get networking, MS, ITIL, CWN? certs. The broader your knowledge, the better chances you give youreself later on.
    Kam.
  • Options
    pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote:
    'Bums on Seat' experience for at least two years is far more valuable than any minor cert. User your time wisely and study the paths the others have recomended and you will be in a very strong position once you have that experience.

Don't get lazy and sit back. This is important and so many don't and have trouble later on. Keep getting the certs and when you get to a certain level, make it known that you have it. Eventually they may get worried and give you a pay hike to keep you or you can simply move onwards and upwards.

Once you have your foot in the door, use the time wisely and don't put all your eggs in one basket. IE get networking, MS, ITIL, CWN? certs. The broader your knowledge, the better chances you give youreself later on.

Awesome advice :)
  • Options
    TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Forget MCDST. Not bagging MCDST, but going to MCP / MCSA / MCSE will open more doors and fits more for your System Admin position and directions. How ever there's no harm in getting both.

I'd go for MCP first and then MCSA and maybe look at MCSE later down the road when you get more experience and if you enjoy working with Microsoft products and might want to do implementations / design.

Start with 70-270 (XP Client) and work logically up the chain.

Additionally i'd stay with the company and get 2 years experience under your belt and then decide if you want change.

My 2 cents
  • Options
    Sounds like I need to hit 70-270 first as Treg recommends. I was looking at Microsoft's web site and took their practice exam for 270.....the questions raised would really help me along....

How hard is this test??......I have plenty of time to study and can do that at work....Where I am really lacking is working w/ Server 2003....I have no one to help me at work....learn as you go....

I have 2 years experience right now but still feel I lack the skills for a company to pay me what I should be paid......I would say studying for these exams and applying what I learn at work should make my resume more attractive.....

Thanks for the tips!!!
  • Options
    pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WLG63 wrote:
    Sounds like I need to hit 70-270 first as Treg recommends. I was looking at Microsoft's web site and took their practice exam for 270.....the questions raised would really help me along....

How hard is this test??......I have plenty of time to study and can do that at work....Where I am really lacking is working w/ Server 2003....I have no one to help me at work....learn as you go....

I have 2 years experience right now but still feel I lack the skills for a company to pay me what I should be paid......I would say studying for these exams and applying what I learn at work should make my resume more attractive.....

Thanks for the tips!!!

I hear that the test is pretty easy. I've only just begun to study for it as well though, so I can't say for sure.
  • Options
    Thanks again for replying UOP.....another question.....as I posted before I've taken an MS exam.....after reading the first 5 questions I almost walked out claiming they gave me the wrong exam........then finally something that made sense came up.....I used Transcender and the material TechSkills provided to prepare....I found out later from someone that I should have purchased MS's study guide....by then my money ran out....Based on this information and from what I've read elsewhere this is the path I'll be taking in getting my MCP by passing 70-270...

BTW UOP.....how long have you been studying for this exam and when do you plan on taking your exam??