Failed 70-270 today

Dev13Dev13 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I scored 594. Very disappointed icon_sad.gif
I studied really hard for 1 month. Used Sybex for main study and then completed exam quizzes from MS book and Examcram 2. Still couldn't do well.

It was much harder than i thought ( or may be for me). No questions on performance monitoring, min hardware reqirements. Lots of questions on security.
I need to give it again. Don't know what to study now. Any good exam preparation site or book??

Comments

• kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    If you already have the MS Press book, I suggest reading it cover to cover, then try again.
  • Dev13Dev13 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My first Certification YAHOOOOOOOOO !!!.

Passed on my second attempt. And what a day to get it. Presiden'ts day.
    So, now i am a MCP. I know many of you are thinking.... what's the big deal.
    Hey, it is a big deal for me. And i am celebrating.... icon_lol.gif

Now what next, i need to decide. May be A+ or 70-290. Any advice?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass, and welcome to the MCP club. The only advice I can give you on whether you want to do A+ or 70-290 is this: it all depends on what you want to do. A+ is a PC repair and troubleshooting cert, which gives you the knowledge to build, maintain, and fix desktop PC's and workstations. On the one hand, you'll have plenty of knowledge on the software end, just having come off 70-270, so you'll really only need to work on the hardware concepts. Many people tend to couple A+ and Network+ together, using them as their first set of certs. If you decide to do A+, I'd recommend doing Network+ as well, since it flows nicely into future exams, such as the MCSA/MCSE track and CCNA.

If you're enjoying the Microsoft track and you want to do more with systems administration and networking, then you could do 70-290. Keep in mind, it's a much more expansive exam than the XP test, and you'll be learning a whole lot more new concepts that'll probably take you a good deal of time to learn. And, of course, keep in mind that 70-270 and 70-290 are considered the "easy" exams. But, if you're up to the task and you have the interest, then definitely continue on the Microsoft path, and you'll have your MCSE in no time.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope you enjoy the journey.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • WillisWillis Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yay! Yay! hhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuray! Great job! Don't forget to add the cert to your profile.
  • pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats on your first certification!
  • GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    Congrats , i passed the same yesterday, i was also hesitating on what to do next.
    Other people on the forum here have tell me to go for the 290, so i'm gonna go for the 290.
    Do like me yesterday, take some good beers. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Congrats! :D I haven't taken this one yet... icon_confused.gif
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Dev13Dev13 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone.

I didn't know 290 is easy. I thought its very hard, much more than 270.

Also how difficult is CompTIA A+. I believe i need to take 2 of them right, one for OS and one for hardware?? Can i prepare without any lab or practical experience?

One more thing. Any comments on CIW??
  • zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    focus on 270 first.
    A+ could be hard if you have no experience for the hardware exam, and the OS exam is not so easy, having your 270 knowledge would really help.

I remember when I went to my OS exam for A+ the girl at the exam center told me many people fail this exam. She told me that right before I start the exam icon_confused.gif like if wasnt stressed enought...

290 easy ? I dont think so, 270 is "easier" it's only XP features after all.
  • andrewdalandrewdal Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_confused.gif: what does mcse for anyway
  • andrewdalandrewdal Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i mean for what career path icon_rolleyes.gif
  • pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    andrewdal wrote:
    i mean for what career path icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/mcse.mspx

The MCSE certification is appropriate for:
    • Systems engineers
    • Technical support engineers
    • Systems analysts