Options

pci video in graphics card

dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a pretty nice 19in wide screen lcd monitor for my home pc. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pci video card that would have video-in capabilities that would allow me to hook up my ps2 and play it on my monitor?

Right now I have a crappy 15in tv and I think it would be pretty sweet to run the ps2 on the wide screen.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you need a video card or just a capture card?

I use the ATI TV Wonder 650 in my system for video capture. You could easily hook up your PS2 through this card.

I selected this card over some others because of its HDTV capabilities. It allows me to view my local stations that broadcast over-the-air free of charge. That may not be something you are interested in though...
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    TV Wonder 650 is good, or I have also suggested this to others before:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2825463&CatId=1427
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have any of you actually seen a game console on a lcd monitor? Is the picture quality better with a box type connection rather than a video card?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    dubbs112 wrote:
    Have any of you actually seen a game console on a lcd monitor? Is the picture quality better with a box type connection rather than a video card?

The good thing about the box is that you dont require a computer for the connection, but that means that you have to have a switcher between your computer and console. A tv tuner card is nice for some because they could display their console in a window via the provided software if they wanted to.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One thing I would suggest you be aware of is if you play in a full screen mode, some games may appear "worse" as you stretch a 4:3 image to fit your screen without letter boxing on the side. But that may be offset by the larger image making the game play a bit easier.

I personally do not to notice video games being stretched to wide screen as much as I do standard TV. Maybe I'm just more forgiving of video games over HDTV content.

Depending on what option you chose, I have seen some instances where the image through the PC is not as bright as through the TV by default. Of course, you can play with settings to counter that, but I always try to find a single solution to best fit all scenarios.

This topic is definitely going to be pretty subjective though, both on personal preference and the hardware solution you select. I do think you can definitely find something to meet your needs though and keep you satisfied.

I've never used the Kworld box, but it definitely looks like a rock solid solution...
    "By the power of Grayskull"