Aui cable for cisco router c2500

spookyspooky Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
HI forum :D ,

I have a cisco router c2500 and i like to know what sort of cable i need to connect to by eathernet port on my pc. I have looked it up and it says i need a DB15 to a RJ45 cable but i dont know where to find one, or even if it is the right one at all icon_confused.gif:

Can someone please help this cisco newbie.

Thanx inadvance
spooky

Comments

• georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    You need an AUI to 10BaseT(RJ45) transceiver. You should be able to find on on Ebay for $5 - $20. You'll also need a 10BaseT RJ45 ethernet crossover cable.

Georgemc icon_cool.gif
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    The DB15 (or DB9) to RJ45 , with a rollover cable is used to connect your router console port to your serial(COM) port on your PC, then you can connect to your router via HyperTerminal.
  • georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Spooky,
    Are you trying to connect to the router console for configuration purposes or are you attempting to connect you PC to the router as a host for lab/networking purposes? I assumed since you mentioned Ethernet, you were attempting the latter.

The pinout for the console cable is detailed in the following link:
    http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=pincabser_cisco_9
    This assumes that you have a nine pin serial interface on your PC. Console kits/cables are also available online from Ebay, ciscokits.com, etc.

As I'm writing this there is a Ciscokits ad on the left side of my screen, If you can see the ad (normally when you go into the cisco forums), in the picture the blue cable with the little gray dongle next to it make up the console kit for the 2500 series. The little white blocks on the right in the rear are the AUI to Twisted Pair (RJ45, 10BaseT) transceivers that I mentioned in my earlier post.

I hope this clarifies/helps. :D

Georgemc :)
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Check out our following TechLab for how to use the AUI port with a transceiver and UTP cabling:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml