RAID 1

elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
Hi guys is there a way to configure RAID 1 on system without losing data?

And What do you guys think abt me configuring A Dell XPS 710 as a File Server running win XP pro system on a small network of about 7 pc's.

i am basically configuring the 7 workstations to Redirect thier My Document to a network share on the XPS system.

Share ur thoughts on this.....and any other ideas.

Thx much
stonecold26.jpg

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    you want to use that as a file server?

well, assume you are set on that, what do you mean configure RAID 1 without losing data? you mean you have a single drive configuration right now, and you want to convert it to a RAID 1 setup?

I tried a similar thing with my machine which has an ASUS K8N, I believe the nvidia RAID ROM are the same on our boards. It works in the sense that I could install the second drive (same size, different manufacturer), setup the RAID, rebuild it, installed the RAID driver with windows, performed a repair install, but for some odd reason, it just will not bootup into windows properly.

After hours of trial and testing, I think it has to do with some sort of BIOS restriction that our board has, it could have something to do with the nvidia chipset also.

I've read posts that VIA RAID controllers will work better, and I bought one on ebay, so I'll give that a try sometime...
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Well there are two drives on the system, one configured as the system drive, nothing is on the other.....

so i just want to configure the two as RAID 1..... but will this configuration wipe anything on the system drive (OS,Softwares etc)?

oooh i think you have to set enable RAID-mode before you begin configuration.
    stonecold26.jpg
    ok, so I have the right idea as to what you want to do. I'm going to assume you're running Windows XP. Read what I wrote above, I basically tried what you want to do.

in summary, you have to..
    install raid driver
    enable raid, install the raid 1 array with the 2 drives.
    rebuild the array
    install raid driver in windows setup
    repair install

but for myself, the above didnt work successfully for I think it's a BIOS/chipset restriction
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    ok, But do i have to Re-install the operating Sytem and the softwares?

And yes it's running Windows XP..
    stonecold26.jpg
  • davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Remember when running a client OS like XP as a file server that you'll be limited to 10 concurrent connections. You said 7 clients so that won't be a problem right now but its something that could come up in the future. I'm not sure what you're using for Raid, obviously dynamic disks won't fill your requirements due to XP not being able to create fault tolerant Raid arrays using dynamic disks alone. I suppose you are using a third party solution. Having said that, I would consult the vendor of your RAID card. I'm betting they will tell you that it can be done but you should back up your data first incase of failure.

Edit to add. I just read that you're wanting to mirror your OS drive. My reading skills are somewhat lacking due to the hydrocodones I'm currently taking. icon_redface.gif
    Anyway, that changes things a bit but if it was me I would still contact your vendor.
    davenport wrote:
    I suppose you are using a third party solution. Having said that, I would consult the vendor of your RAID card. I'm betting they will tell you that it can be done but you should back up your data first incase of failure.

I think he's using a built-in RAID controller with his motherboard. I have a similar chipset on mine and when I tried, it didnt work.
    elover_jm wrote:
    ok, But do i have to Re-install the operating Sytem and the softwares?

I think I've already said this twice, you can try to do a repair install, but it might not work as I have already shared.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    What Raid card are you using? I install Promise Raid cards on a daily basis, and yes, you can keep all your data. When you go to create your raid array it is imperative that you complete the steps to do a raid array when you have data already on the drive in a certian order or else all data will be wiped. I always ghost the first drive on a network share, then start the raid building process. Just incase I miss a step for whatever reason I can give it another go.

We use TX2200, TX2300 Raid cards mainly and Perc3/4 if we have dell systems.

Also, if you purchase a TX card dont go by the manual, Their instructions only work for drives that have no data on them. If you follow their instructions you will wipe the data. I have installed a lot of these and I had to figure out the correct procedure by trial and error.