I learned a important lesson today about "virtual"

dsimons2001dsimons2001 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Recently I installed VMWare on my laptop that I use at work.(1st mistake) I work on a Help Desk at a large insurance company. I configured a domain controller and a member server so that I can study for the beast. I had the DC setup with a subnet of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254. I had the member server and the DC on the same domain. I named the domain after myself, dennis.com. (2nd mistake)

So I come back from lunch today and one of the network admins is running around frantically looking for a "router". I then learned that people who are trying to login to the network are getting 192 IP addressesicon_sad.gif My coworker then tells me that they noticed the router is on a dennis.com domain!!! OOPS BUSTED BIGTIME

Well I consider it a learning experience. Hopefully my boss doesn't fire me tomorrow. He was gone for the day when I got back from lunch. I learned that virtual machines are not so virtual. I didn't expect it to start handing out IP addresses to computers on a different domain.

Comments

• amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    been there...done that

if VMware is the same-ish as virtual pc then you can set it to look for only other virtual pc's...

If the boss does have a word with you then to be honest as long as its vaguely to do with your job then I would go along the lines of 'it was for self improvment and I was trying to use my initiative' If it was a security breach then tell him he should think himself lucky it was you and not a hacker or something. This way he can make improvements to stop someone else causing this issue beofore something really goe swrong. You get my drift.

GOOD LUCK!
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol,

I remember a staff member in my IT team plugged in a Wireless Netgear Router to the Network for testing, it had DHCP enabled by default and... well you can figure the rest out icon_smile.gif.

These things happen to all of us, woulden't worry about it.
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    Just my two cents worth....

If your boss has ANY grey matter between his ears, he will give you a slap on the wrist and then encourage you to study more as one day you will make a damn fine admin.
  • dsimons2001dsimons2001 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. :D
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For future reference, use HOST-ONLY networking next time if you want it to be isolated from your production network.

blargoe
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another method you can do to remain separate from your host-network but still be able to access internet on your virtual machines as well as RDP into your virtual machines.

1. Install Microsoft Loopback Adapter.
    You can do this by going to Start > Control Panel > Add Hardware > Let it fail detection > Choose Yes you have already installed the new hardware > Scroll all the way down to Add a new hardware device > Choose Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced) > Network Adapters > Microsoft Loopback Adapter > Let it install.

2. Configure Microsoft Loopback Adapter to use 192.168.0.1 /24. You do not have to configure any other settings.

3. On your main adapter, configure ICS to share to your Loopback Adapter.

4. On your virtual machine, configure it to use the loopback adapter.

Now all your VMs will be on their own separate network, and they will use the loopback adapter as a router. You can use DHCP just fine as ICS has dhcp built-in that will assign your VMs network configuration. Your loopback adapter will also proxy DNS. For statically configure machines, make sure your default gateway is the loopback. That way if clients DNS are pointed to a DC, the DC can still perform recursion because its gateway is the loopback adapter which allows it to get out to the internet due to ICS.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    icroyal wrote:
    192.168.0.1 /24.

just a query as I never really understand this one. I've always taken it to mean IP address 192.168.0.1 through to 192.168.0.24 am I correct?
  • DionysusDionysus Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    /24 refers to the subnet mask. 24 bits for the network portion (i.e. 255.255.255.0)

/8 = Class A - 255.0.0.0
    /16 = Class B - 255.255.0.0
    /24 = Class C - 255.255.255.0
    thanks for that...

hopefully when I start the 291 I will become alot more familar.
  • DionysusDionysus Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    *insert deep growling voice*

yes you will... yeesss yooouu wiiillllll.......

:D
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    yeah, don't fret, you learned, you could also setup your machines to use a lan segment, that only they can connect to, this is what I do, in combination with host only and Nat depending on what I need.

virtual machines are meant to act just like physical machines, unless your configure them not to, don't be ashamed though, it happens to the best :D
    get back to studying!!!