I CANT BOAT MY PC!!!!

FieldDog1FieldDog1 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I currently have a Gateway 3.2 ghz pentium 4 with a Geforce 6800. Everything was great and my pc was working fine. So I just get back from a weekend vaction and for some reason my pc would began to boot, go to a blue screen for a very short split second, and than reboot. I tried running it in safe mode and still no luck. It gets into this loop of starting than restarting.

Having lost my windows xp cd, I went and bought a copy of Vista. So I put in the disk and booted from the dvd. After a minute the dvd started to load, and than frooze. I waited for five minutes than restarted the computer.

Now heres the odd part I need help with. Now when I boot my pc, no image displays on my monitor. There are no beeps, no display, and a little red light blinking on my motherboard by the small battery. I cant get any image on my monitor, I also tried a few other monitors with no luck.

SO how do I get my pc to bootup! I need your help asap!!!!

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Is it still under warranty?

If not, and you were not able to boot into safe mode...can you remove everything except the PS, CPU, RAM, GC. Does it POST? Add the HDD back in? What happens?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FieldDog1 wrote:
    I CANT BOAT MY PC!!!!
    Water and PCs don't mix.
    int80h wrote:
    FieldDog1 wrote:
    I CANT BOAT MY PC!!!!
    Water and PCs don't mix.

figured I'd leave it alone this time icon_cool.gif

I did craft a nice boat out of a keyboard box and floated in the flooded parking lot at work...fine craft it was!!

Back on topic :)

I am curious why the jump from a non-booting system to installing an upgrade icon_confused.gif:
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    First of all, the absolute WORST time to upgrade your operating system is when the computer is having problems. You only want to upgrade hardware or software when the computer is working correctly.

The blue screen is an indication that your system has likely suffered a hardware failure, and the blue screen results when the driver for the failed hardware peripheral or subsystem attempts to load. You need to remove all the peripherals and just try to boot the motherboard with its RAM, the video card, and the power supply. If it doesn't boot, it's one or more of these components that's bad.

Did you have the computer connected to a UPS? If not, it's possible that a power surge could have damaged the computer, even when it's turned off. That's a rare occurrence, but it happens--even with those big twin Mercury outboards. icon_wink.gif
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you haven't messed up anything by trying to install Vista yet, boot up and hit the F8 key. Try selecting "last known good". If the latest update from MS hosed a driver or something, that might get you in. If you get in that way, go to System Properties, Advanvced, Startup and Recovery, and turn off the automatically restart on a system failure. Then check your event logs.

Failing that, have you tried System Restore?

JD is probably on track with the bad hardware theory and power outage causing a surge while you were gone.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I would check the hardware as suggested though i am now wondering what type of case would float and how many fans would be needed to provide forwards propulsion......
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • 5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    did you forget to put the bungs in?
    Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
    -J.R.Purser
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    You need to remove all the peripherals and just try to boot the motherboard with its RAM, the video card, and the power supply. If it doesn't boot, it's one or more of these components that's bad.

Not to nitpick...but you also need a processor in order to POST, right?

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
    usually
    Try til it hurts then try some more
    KGhaleon wrote:
    jdmurray wrote:
    You need to remove all the peripherals and just try to boot the motherboard with its RAM, the video card, and the power supply. If it doesn't boot, it's one or more of these components that's bad.

KG

Likely just a mis-type :)

AND It was actually asked earlier.
    If not, and you were not able to boot into safe mode...can you remove everything except the PS, CPU, RAM, GC. Does it POST? Add the HDD back in? What happens?

So we really need to hear back from the guy with the question.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Booting a motherboard implies a CPU is installed. It's not likely that the CPU is bad unless there was a power surge. And in that case, there'll be a few other components fried as well.