WOW (World of Warcraft)

buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
Who here plays WOW (World of Warcraft)? I have been thinking about getting this. Is it worth the $15 a month?

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    wizmyth wrote:
    Who here plays WOW (World of Warcraft)? I have been thinking about getting this. Is it worth it?

lol
  • oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
    I'm really tempted .....is it the school hols already ?
    Try til it hurts then try some more
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are free Servers you can play on but they are not as good. I would probably recommend Everquest instead because I have be told it is better than WoW.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I have a couple of friends I haven't seen since WoW launched, so I'm assuming it's pretty good. I'm a little wary of playing online games and paying money for it, since I enjoy going back to games throughout the years; online games that require servers to play are only going to be taken down eventually.

Still, I'm tempted to get into it and be an addict. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was younger I use to spend hours upon hours, week after week playing Blood and Roleplaying(BARP) until I became the champion and reigned over all the characters on the server. I played Priston Tale for hours on end, and then played FFXI until I couldn't get any further with my level 42Monk/20Warrior.

I can thankfully say that I'll never touch another online game again.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    be careful with that stuff, I have friends who lost their jobs, wife and life since they discovered WoW. one of my friend is playing an average of 90 hrs a week, I've seen him sometimes at 110 hrs in 7 days (you can monitor that using Xfire)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It's called "World of Warcrack" for a reason.

Just say n-...uh, only $15 a month, eh? Hmmmm... icon_confused.gif
  • borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It can be an addicting game, it seems more indepth than Guild Wars or other games online so you may want to be carefull or you may get hooked on Warcrack also.
    borumas wrote:
    Iit seems more indepth than Guild Wars or other games online
    WoW is has more depth than most other MMORPGs, like Silkroad Online, but as a devote Guild Wars player I can say that (IMHO) WoW is actually inferior in terms of graphics and AI than GW. Although, this is not necessarily a good thing, as WoW will run on really crappy video cards, while GW needs the higher-end cards to run properly. WoW is also a exceptionally easy for people to learn.
  • SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure about WarCraft as I haven't played it but i do play eve online and I don't pay anything for it. I just trade isk (in game money) with other players who sell time cards for isk. I haven't had to pay for this game for the last three months and it took me about three months to get my character to a point where I could earn enough to buy time cards. they've also got a 15 day trial period so go check it out.
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I warn you not to play this game
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    WoW - is a great game, no denying that. Its the most popular online RPG - (MMORPG) to date with some 5-6 million subscribers.

But as others have pointed out, it can be very addictive. I jump on and play anywhere from 30 minutes to and hour, but I have several friends that like to do marathon sessions and play for several hours a night.

Sad thing is when my budies from work call me to tell me to jump online, most time I think to myself "Oh man - I wanted to study for my 70-291"

PS - It's $15 if you pay month to month. If you pay for a couple months at a time - I think 3 or 6 month blocks - you get a discount.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Most of the people I work with have regular WoW conversations. It's odd to hear grown men talking about a game the way they do. None of them watch any TV, or have any hobbies. A few of them play in the morning, and then as soon as they get home. There are Chinese "factories" that have people playing 20 hours a day, and then Ebaying the characters. Simply put, it's like a drug, and you can't stop. One guy said he would never pay for something like that. His son-in-law bought him a 6 month subscription, and he just bought an 12 month extension, only a month after starting. He stopped working on his home theater, he stopped coaching his kids teams, he's become addicted. I mean, holy crap, it's just a stupid game.........
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    "How do you kill one who has no life?" icon_lol.gif Have a life and don't play this stupid ass game.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8579773941702310588&q=South+Park&hl=en

Note how fat & sloby they become.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I already posted a while back about this game.... I just installed 2142 last night because everyone was bugging me to get it. Wow! It has great graphics and is a really addicting game as well. I just dont like the fact that my video card cant keep up.
    TechJunky wrote:
    I just dont like the fact that my video card cant keep up.
    I swear the only reason I ever upgrade my workstation's hardware is because a new generation of gaming technology has been released. I upped my CPU, monitor, and video card last year because of Half-life 2:Episode 1. Thank goodness DirectX 10 is only on Vista, and I won't be gaming on that platform for another two years. But next year I'll probably buy the next gen of the XBox 360.
  • buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WOW, from some of the responses I got it seems like the best thing I can do is stay far away from this game if I want to keep my life. LOL . Where I work I hear people talking about it all the time having W.O.W conversations, they keep telling me its a cool game to play. Thanks for all the feedback.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would stay away from the game like others are saying. Games can be really addictive for people and people will lose their life and become fat. I know one of my family members who got addicted to WoW, had about 10-15 level 60 characters spread across a few accounts, and never stopped playing. I had a level 60 character which took me a long time to get to, but when I saw his life deteriorating from it, I canceled my account before I got into dungeon raiding where you really lose your life. It's really sad. it is.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    Many many good points in this thread already.

but...to play devils advocate again (I like to do that :D )

Is it really the game's fault? People have complete free will to play as little or as much of this game as they want. This isn't like a drug where the "user" might become chemically dependant on the substance of abuse.

Now I completely understand that video game addiction is a real thing, and countless people actually have had their lives destroyed because of games like this, but at the same time, is it the games fault or the individual?

Just thought this could be a good discussion :D
    bmauro wrote:

Is it really the game's fault? People have complete free will to play as little or as much of this game as they want. This isn't like a drug where the "user" might become chemically dependant on the substance of abuse.

Now I completely understand that video game addiction is a real thing, and countless people actually have had their lives destroyed because of games like this, but at the same time, is it the games fault or the individual?

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Yeah, the gamers fault
  • buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    bmauro wrote:

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Yeah, the gamers fault

To expand even further:
    Do you guys think people can become addicted to the Internet like people have become addicted to games such as WOW?
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    wizmyth wrote:

To expand even further:
    Do you guys think people can become addicted to the Internet like people have become addicted to games such as WOW?

You can become addicted to ANYTHING.
    Working on Linux+
    I think hobbies come in all different packages.

Some people like to spend hours watching TV .

Some people like to spend hours working on their cars.

Some people like to spend hours reading books.

Some people like to spend hours playing video games (online or not).

Some people like to spend hours on the Internet.

I think it's all subjective, what one person would call an addiction another would call a hobby (whatever you want to call what you do with your free time).

I do think that whatever it is you like to do in your free time - once it starts degrading other areas of your life - work - family - friends, thats where it goes from being a hobby to an addiction.

So if you feel like you easily can be addicted to a game - then yes stay clear of WoW. But lets all be serious, what that means is that the individual who stays clear of a game for fear of addiction has issues with self-control.
    bmauro wrote:
    I do think that whatever it is you like to do in your free time - once it starts degrading other areas of your life - work - family - friends, thats where it goes from being a hobby to an addiction.

You couldn't have said it any better. When you lose your family and job, then it's an addiction. I know "functioning crackheads." They maintain their jobs, family and pay the bills. Just whatever money they have left they spend on crack. I'm not saying thats ok, but I give them more respect than the average crackhead.
    Working on Linux+
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    I'm not saying thats ok, but I give them more respect than the average crackhead.

icon_eek.gif Never heard that line before.....As the crack head itches his pasty neck until it bleeds & offers sexual favors for a bag of cheeseburgers.
    Well, the functioning crackhead doesn't need to perform sexual favors for cheeseburgers. They're functioning. It's those other kinds of crackheads where you get sexual favors or a VCR for 2 dollars.
    Working on Linux+
    It looks like the latest "WoW Killer" is Darkfall Online.

Troll_anim.gifRevenant_a.gif
    Goblin_a.gifghoul_gif_anim2b.gif
  • cousintroycousintroy Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been WoW free for almost 6 months now, 60 NE warrior and 60 human Warlock with near full tier 1 (missing two pieces) and got out before Burning Crusades. I wasnt an addict like some people out there but I did play a lot. I think my defining moment was at a weekend long WoW LAN party and looked around at my friends and thought to myself...WTF am I doing with my life.

Since then..play in two soccer leagues, going to Africa in September, passed my 70-270, and taking my 70-290 this weekend. All I can say is be careful, if you have even the slightest addictive personality you might have issues.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    cousintroy wrote:
    WTF am I doing with my life.

For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known, a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries and not merely in self-defense. I’ve exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savored every moment. You may not think it, to look at me, but I have commanded armies and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say: I've lived.

For those who don't recognize it:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4814501282951264192
  • helms20helms20 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wizmyth wrote:
    WOW, from some of the responses I got it seems like the best thing I can do is stay far away from this game if I want to keep my life. LOL . Where I work I hear people talking about it all the time having W.O.W conversations, they keep telling me its a cool game to play. Thanks for all the feedback.

In my opinion blaming a game for being too addicting, to the point that you lose your career or social life because of, is stupidity. I have played WoW and Everquest, but it is up to the person playing on how much time you want to indulge in it. I currently have an account on EQ2 and have not played in about 2 weeks b/c I have been studying for my 291, but like I said its up to the person that plays and how their priorities are set.
    "Our arrows will blot out the sun."
    "Then we will fight in the shade."