Options

Passed!

allmightypcallmightypc Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed Server+ today. Scored 762. icon_lol.gif
It was a fair test with a couple uncounted questions....what speed does a 33mhz pci card run at 33bits? LOL
It seemed that all objectives were covered.
I used the ILT book and software, built my server 4 times, played with server2003, dhcp, active directory, snmp, etc..
study material info:
http://www.course.com/catalog/product.cfm?isbn=978-1-4239-1457-0
Great material for $60 measure up testing cd and audio/visual learning cd included.

good luck to all. Remember when you asked, "What is a Window"? Keep on learning!
Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

What made you decide to get the Server+ certifcation? It seems to be less popular than the others, though I'm not sure why.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Congrats! :D
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Very cool, congratulations on the pass.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Many thanks.

Server+ is the natural learning path for me, as my goal is to service law firms, medical offices and the like. These types of customers pay their bills on time and require a substantial amount of I.T. support.
    Also, this customer base is educated and are not intimidated by something they don't understand. This has been my experience.
  • Options
    sekure70sekure70 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great job on Server+ !
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    server+ is a good path through system admin......congrats on your pass
  • Options
    johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    congrats!! :D

how hard was the test compared to others you've taken?
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems

It wasn't really hard. It really seemed like the natural course of learning after studying/taking/passing A+, Network+, Security+, MCDST, MCP.

I studied my butt off. I posted the materials I used in an earlier post. Having never supported any servers, the material was new, yet exciting and very interesting.
    I really learned what all the hoopla is about regarding SCSI drives and RAID configurations. Man are they fast!! and expensive too! My study materials ($60) had me go online and price out all the server hardware for a raid 5 setup.

If you're gonna support servers, I advise taking this exam. Servers is where the real work is anyway.
    Any kid (I'm old) can assemble a computer, load up an os, setup email and give it to a family member or friend, for FREE. But noone is going to call on this kid to solve an AD, Exchange, DHCP, RAID Controller or DNS problem! Again, this seems to be where the men are separated from the boys. IMHO

If your contemplating this cert. Just do it! You'll find out real quick if it even interests you.

Good luck to All
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any kid (I'm old) can assemble a computer, load up an os, setup email and give it to a family member or friend, for FREE.

I don't know if I agree with that. In the area I live in it is hard to find someone to do that kind of stuff who knows what they are doing that will charge a fair rate.
    But noone is going to call on this kid to solve an AD, Exchange, DHCP, RAID Controller or DNS problem! Again, this seems to be where the men are separated from the boys. IMHO

I think Server+ is a great cert to have and I will get it one of these days. Unfortunatley from what I can tell there are not that many employers who ask for Server+. For AD, Exchange, DHCP, DNS etc...you would be better off getting MCSE. I am not trying to discredit this cert as I know it is a hard and a very useful exam but that is just my opinion.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    I don't know if I agree with that. In the area I live in it is hard to find someone to do that kind of stuff who knows what they are doing that will charge a fair rate.

You're absolutely right. Sometimes I forget this a global community. What is true in my area, may not necessarily be true in another area of the country or the world.

Futhermore, I hear from professional people from Florida, Alabama and Georgia, saying the same thing you're saying. (knows what they are doing that will charge a fair rate).

I have found basically two types of customers in my area.
    One, the home user who is really an intermediate user who loves email, photos, printing and surfing their favorite websites. Alot of these (in my area) think all of this is just so "wonderful" but are not willing to even purchase a "real" antiviri suite every year or 3 years. Neither are they willing to pay the going rate for setting up their dsl/cable modem and two computers. Moreover, they are unwilling to grasp the fact that they need the antivirus suite to prevent infecting their machines through emails (they open everything, thinking it is so great to get all this email). They refuse to believe that trojans are real, that identity theft can happen to them, etc...I have quit servicing these customers, as within a short period of time, their machines are re-infected and they think this "just shouldn't happen"! Truth: they refuse to grasp the basic concepts of "safe computing" in this day and age and seem to view computers as a fad, toy and technicaians as hobbyist' who charge too much. The sharks can have them, I for one have quit banging my head against the wall with these wonderful folks.
    Takeaway: Don't outbid yourself in this field. Take your valuable skills/talent to those who recognize it and are willing to pay for it. Back it up with integrity.

Two, the professional who works at home is my favorite customer! After spending some time explaining to them what is really going on with the "wonderful internet", they grasp the precautions that need to be taken and why. They have integrity and admit things like "My niece was visiting for a week and I let her use my computer, now I am infected with all these pop-ups and my email doesn't work anymore". And they learn from these experiences. They are professionals and pay the going rate for excellent service in a timely manner. They pay on-time and give referrals.
    Takeaway: Provide great service at a professional rate and both are satisfied.

In my customer service experience (10 years) I have learned that Integrity is the one characteristic that keeps them calling my number. If I make a mistake, I fix it or pay for it. I admit my mistakes, before they discover them. If I don't have the answer, I say, "I don't know, can I have 1/2 an hour to get the answer"? Most Professionals don't have all the answers all the time, lawyers, doctors, accountants know this is reality.
    I sometimes get calls from new customers whose previous technician lacked integrity. examples: Not calling ahead when he is late, didn't fix the problem or follow up later with the fix, said he backed up my data but didn't, etc... These are the technicians that cause people to say: "Noone around here knows how to fix computers!"

I have read posts regarding certifications and how worthless they are and how they don't help get/keep the job and all you have to do is socialize, kiss up, be the favorite to get/keep the job, fake it, etc...
    Takeaway: Be personable, polite, direct. Take the time to answer their questions on their level of knowledge. Be sensitive. Let them see that you are more than just a techie.

Good luck to All!
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    allmightypc

I could not of said it better myself. Typical USA.!

I agree the ones who make the money want exactly what you give them dude!
    same here in Wisconsin, USA. I do work on the side as well for small businesses.

and the typical home user is cheap and pisses and moans a lot!

and what you said about server admin stuff. I agree with you. yeah, maybe
    some will tackle the DNS, AD, etc...but I think most young punks!
    will shy away from DNS, AD, GPO, site replication issues, SANs, clustering
    load balancing, farms.once they see that cool stuff it will freak them out
    like when they first got laid! ahahhahaha premature something! will happen
    us seasoned MEN will say lets ROCK!

very well said: i would say the young punk PC builders will freak!
    and run and hide and those who dont are fools! and any IT head will not
    let just any punk PC builder touch the above mention unless they are stupid

you are 100 perent right

however overseas in Europe and Russiam Colombia SA.

they will higher anyone almost; and most large companies in these areas will not!
    yeah it depends on the area but me and you! I am sticking with BIG BOY toys!

Building and TS workstations is baby stuff!

thank god us old dogs love BIG boy TOYs!

Rock on dude
    congrats on server+

I want to get it i think it has stuff in there you can never learn from MCSE

i have met some MCSEs (no offense who is one on the forum) but you know who you
    are! I have had to come behind some MCSEs 2 or 3 and fix there mess!
    and I am not an MCSE but understand all the above! and will get my MCSE.
    (if i could write and spell better ....hahahah)
    becaue I think the knowlege is powerful and to just have MCSE langauge!

but I too am sticking to the above mentioned skills cause A+ gets old and easy!
    though it is still necessary with new stuff coming out!

but long story short I agree with you! GREAT JOB!

Robert(aka itdaddy)
    icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Better late than never, congrats!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icroyal

hey cheesehead! what up! i didnt know you was cheesehead like me
    cool dude!

nice certs! where you go to school? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    knekokneko Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass...

with the objectives covered in this exam, i do feel this exam may become quite popular, not only for work in the average server room, but also in the scope of data center environments. i'm actually planning on working on this one once i finish up with the 70-270/431 and security+.
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    kneko wrote:
    congrats on the pass...

with the objectives covered in this exam, i do feel this exam may become quite popular, not only for work in the average server room, but also in the scope of data center environments. i'm actually planning on working on this one once i finish up with the 70-270/431 and security+.

Do it dude!

It won't hurt and it may just allow you to pip someone in an interview for a promotion or better job. It did for me.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops