Options

Ping

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Alright, as you all know I am new to networking...

That being said I cleared out a router and configured the S0 to ip address 10.0.0.1/8 and no shut command issued.

How come I can't ping that address from that router? Is there a locahost loopback i can use under Cisco?

Do I need a routing protocol running?

I shouldn't need all that to ping a router's own interface, should I?

thanks as always
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Alright, so once I connect another router to it, and enable irgp on it, I can ping that host from in itself. So it would seem to me, a router has to have something plugged in and communicating for a interface to be able to ping... is this true of all Cisco routers? Is my assumption here wrong?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    If I remember right, IP ROUTING needs to be turned on ( I believed this is now the default) and the interface needs to be UP and UP. You shouldn't need to have IGRP or any other routing protocol turned on to ping a local interface.

If you create and enable a LOOPBACK interface, you should be able to ping it without being connected to another router.

Hope this helps.
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED: