FAT32 file system

wlumiswlumis Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
The maximum supported volume size for FAT32 is 2 TB, but Windows XP can format up to 32 GB only

Can someone explain a bit on the above statement. Does it mean that if I install Xp on a 80GB HDD, I'll be able to access only 32GB of it only?

Thankyou

Comments

• DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    XP can see and use more than 32GB but it can only FORMAT up to 32GB. The thing that gets me is that FAT32 can only support file sizes up to 4GB. That sucks for large movies and such.

The direct technical reason why it won't go over 32GB... well I know after 32GB you have to increase the cluster size to 32k, which wastes space, while NTFS over 32GB is only 4k plus it supports larger file sizes. NTFS is the way to go for sure.
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    Can someone explain a bit on the above statement. Does it mean that if I install Xp on a 80GB HDD, I'll be able to access only 32GB of it only?

well, if u decide to use FAT32 yea windows XP only makes up 32gb FAT32 Partitions, but if u use NTFS as system file u shouldn't have anyproblem ntfs supports up tp 16 exabytes (1EB = 16.8 Million Terabytes) theorycly
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    wlumis wrote:
    The maximum supported volume size for FAT32 is 2 TB, but Windows XP can format up to 32 GB only

FAT32 can be used to format drives of upto 2TB, but FAT32 partitions could only be 32GB in size.

In other words, you wouldnt be able to format a 32GB partition (even though FAT32 support this partition size) on a 3TB drive because FAT32 can only support volume (drive) size of upto 2TB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154997
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    ilcram19 wrote:

No. You can access all 80GB of it.
    ilcram19 wrote:
    well, if u decide to use FAT32 yea windows XP only makes up 32gb FAT32 Partitions, but if u use NTFS as system file u shouldn't have anyproblem ntfs supports up tp 16 exabytes (1EB = 16.8 Million Terabytes) theorycly

Practical limit for Basic NTFS disks is 2TB, Dynamic NTFS is 16EB.
    DragonNOA1 wrote:
    No. You can access all 80GB of it.

what do you mean by access "all of it"?

the partition size can only be upto 32GB, so you have to make at least 3 partitions.
    What are you talking about?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463

"Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB "

I've done it myself. You can't format in XP over 32GB but if it is formatted in another OS XP can still access the whole partition, whether it is 80GB or 200GB FAT32.
    i was just trying to answer that question that he ask, lol of couse i would like to have 1EB hardrive on my computer but he was talking about "windows xp", i was recomending him to use NTFS instaed of FAT32 when Making partitions with "windows XP" i havent seen a 1EB partition yet lol i hope he got my point[/quote]
  • oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
    My partitions using Xp Pro are 48 gig, or am I missing the point icon_bounce.gif
    Try til it hurts then try some more
    FAT32 or NTFS?
    DragonNOA1 wrote:
    "Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB "

The original question suggests that it's a fresh XP install on an unpartitioned 80GB hdd. Or so at least the way I am reading it. Thus, the partition size is formatted to be upto 32GB.

But DragonNOA1, you're correct, I've almost forgotten about a series of scenarios of FAT32 on a drive >32GB. Manufacturer's drive utility disc comes in handy in such situations.