triple boot..

mookytcmookytc Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all...been looking at some linux material this evening. I have xp pro loaded on my new machine. I have 250GB free space to use for when vista arrives this week. I guess I have two questions for you.

One what would be the best version of linux to load so I can start to learn this OS? Red Hat?

Second if I load vista as my second os and leave a small partition for linux (which will be loaded last) will there be problems with a triple boot machine? Dual boot with both xp and vista will be cake but I have no linux experience to speak of.

Thanks,

DC

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Will this be your first linux experience? If so, ubuntu 6.06 is your best bet. Other good ones include: Fedora(Red Hat), Mandriva and Debian

I havent used Mandriva since they renamed it from Mandrake, but ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian is extremely easy to dual (multi) boot with Windows. The rule is generally to install the "oldest" or "simplest" OS first. So with XP, Vista, and Linux, install in that order.

Note that, install Linux as second (or Third) OS on top of Windows is easy, but trying to installed 2 versions of Linux in the same machine isnt as trivial.

Good luck!

ps. This is my 1000th post, YAY!!!! My fourth star!!!!! :D
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • mookytcmookytc Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes it will be my first linux experience. I was going to install it in that order also (xp,vista, linux). Thanks...

DC
    I have seen in this forum and others that it is best to learn from the command prompt and not the gui. Seems logical...is this possible with the version you recommended?

Cheers,

DC
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    mookytc wrote:
    I have seen in this forum and others that it is best to learn from the command prompt and not the gui. Seems logical...is this possible with the version you recommended?

Cheers,

DC

any distribution of Linux will have the "command prompt" known as the shell.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    ok thx! look forward to learning linux.

DC