Network+ or A+?

ChadaeChadae Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone! I need some advice

Should I be taking my Network+ first or the A+? I was studying up for the A+ then bought a Network+ book from QUE....now my head is buried in that.

Comments

• GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    A+ is the logical starting point. It actually covers about 60% of the Net+ as well, so doing it first not only gets you 1 cert, but also provides all the foundation knowledge for Net+.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    I agree. I went with the A+ first. There are no pre reqs for taking the network + first, but A+ seems to be the building block for net+
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I would also agree that A+ would be the best start, then followed by Network+ and where ever you would like to venture after that.
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    network+ is more interesting to study than a+. maybe that's why you prefer to work on that. imho, unless you wish to go for mcsa, a+ is probably unnecessary if you think you have enough knowledge to go straight into network+.
    A+ Moderator
  • timharpurtimharpur Inactive Imported Users Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unless cash is limited, you should do the A+ exam first - you should know how to set-up and maintain a computer before trying to learn how to set-up and maintain a network.
  • ChadaeChadae Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I find net+ is far more interesting to study for rather than the A+... :D Im actually retaining info better for network related stuff...but i will go with the A+ as a starting point as everyone suggested icon_idea.gif --i still need to learn more about configuring the o/s, etc.

Ive pretty much planned to go for A+>Net+>MCSE.......what else can I do beyond that? Im having trouble finding the direction. Im thinking maybe security---but I tend to like do work with something more on the creative side....I also do painting,graphic designing,crafts on the side (i really love it)...so I dont know if this is the right path for me---other than the net+. What would you guys do?
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Since you are undecided, I also encourage you to get the A+ cert under your belt. If anyone thinks that they want to do IT, by the time they get A+ done, they'll at least have a pretty good idea if they want to or not.
    And, the studies that you've done in Net+ will certainly not hurt you in the A+ material study!

After A+ just do MCSE. You get a lot of material there on OS there. I'm doing 70-210 now and A+ OS study sure hasn't hurt my understanding of the MS-only material. But, you can take several security elements to fill in requirements on MCSE too. And, everything in the IT job picture points to a future of a lot of security problems, so your inclination toward this area is a good intention to follow. When you can make a living(assuming you don't already), then pursue the "artsy-craftsy" stuff.

I have a daughter who loves arts/crafts, painting, sketching, etc. She has even sold a few things, but she has to have a job to finance her "bad habits"(hehe).

Well, best of luck. Hope this helps.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    have you considered web stuff? Perhaps graphics for websites may be a good alternative for you to look into. This of course would lead you to the i-Net+ icon_wink.gif
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K