CIW Security Exam (1D0-470)

ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm trying to line up the next couple of exams I will be taking. Is there any industry recognition for this cert or would I be wasting time and money prusuing it?
Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I've performed many searches on tech job Web sites for the types of certifications that employees are looking for, and outside of a few Web developer positions, I have not seen a job requisition that specifically mentioned any of the CIW certs. I've look at getting the CIW Security cert myself, but threw it on the pile with the TICSA and SCNP/SCNA as not being worth the time and money of other general security certs, like the Security+, SSCP, and GSEC.

I'd be interested to read if anyone has any experiences with any CIW cert to the contrary to my opinion.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks for the reply. Guess i can get rid of a couple of books.
    Andy

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Guess i can get rid of a couple of books.
    Or just put off getting the cert until you have a clearer picture of where it stands in the world of IT. Please post here any information that you find. :)
    i did searches here and at a couple of other boards and it seems that interest from the certification community has dropped off. Whenever I found a post discussing this exam, it always seems to be a year old or older. When I looked up the material on the CIW website, it looks like the course material is from 2002.
    Andy

I reviewed a couple of months worth of security related job postings on Montser for my area. I didn't see the CIW cert mentioned at all. The CISSP was the most popular, followed by the Security+. The CISA, SSCP, and MCSE:Sec were mentioned a few times.
    Andy

• Gennosuke HIGAKIGennosuke HIGAKI Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For your reference. My present job is an intranet Webmaster so have tried CIW series. If you have 470 per se in mind, it matters little. CIW is Web oriented. Compared to Security+, 470 is more practical. Linux is a must. Almost half ratio on Windows and Linux in 60 questions. As a bonus 470 offers a short cut to CIW Security Analyst if we pass a higher cert, for instance, MCSE, CEH, LPCI-II, etc. If interested, I will write on my howto. Regards
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I also looked into this certification and had plans of pursueing once I had obtained my MCSA. After more research it appears to have little market value and has not been updated in sometime. I chose to spend my time and money on something more marketable LPI and CCNA. Once I have more solid experience I do hope to go for the CISSP and CEH.

But as you have stated the CISSP is one of the most respected certs out there.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was asked to do an independent review of the cert and the courseware. It's supposed to be very specific (web security), and to an extent it is, but in the context of web security it's very "vanilla"....dry and full of huge gaps. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. I even got free books and a free voucher, but I never bothered to use it to sit the exam. That should give you an idea of how valuable I think it is. I strongly agree with JD, your time would better spent on something else.

Keatron.