self employment

netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
Hi everyone. I am scheduled to take my exam just after Christmas, if I pass I'm thinking of becoming self employed in small office installation and support, does anyone do this already, or have any advice please? icon_lol.gif
Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"

Comments

• carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    um good luck is all I can say
  • KDEKDE Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been giving that idea some thought lately my self. Job options lately are slim and none. I'm going for my Net+ Nov 20th.

good luck!
    knowledge is power!
  • Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    When I first started with computers, I did think about the same thing. The town I live in though, I see computer repair shops open and close within the year. I lost count of how many have gone under. However, if you could sign up a company under a contract before you actually start accumulating overhead, then you could be in good shape.
  • imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    does anyone do this already, or have any advice please
    The best advice I could give is get a regular job first. While you have your job, slowly build up contacts and clients. This way you still have an income and are working on getting your own customers. Don't expect things to happen overnight. To change peoples mind so that they come to your side is only possible if you're a Jedi!! :D

But seriously don't rush into it. So many business close in just one year. Take your time and you should do fine
  • wrestlefeverwrestlefever Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    imfrom51 wrote:
    does anyone do this already, or have any advice please
    The best advice I could give is get a regular job first. While you have your job, slowly build up contacts and clients. This way you still have an income and are working on getting your own customers. Don't expect things to happen overnight. To change peoples mind so that they come to your side is only possible if you're a Jedi!! :D

But seriously don't rush into it. So many business close in just one year. Take your time and you should do fine

Same advice I would give. Get a regular job where you have to kiss the bosses *ss for about a year. Then, slowly work on your own business repairing computers and networking a few hours a week. Progressive results are what you are looking at for your business. YOU WANT TO BE SUCCESSFUL!!!!!
  • quest11quest11 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also thinking about going the self employment route. I'm from New York where jobs are few. Where are you from and how are the jobs there?
  • netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    I am from England and IT jobs are out there but it would seem that for a 1st line support position you need MCSE, and yet I hear of others just walking into it because they are doing a course. Im a distant learning student with the National IT learning centre in England, and one of my tutors actualy advised me to offer services to the small client bae, i.e 6-15 computers. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • trick000trick000 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you really wanna start your own business, check this site out: http://www.fonerbooks.com/compbiz.htm
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    if you know enough to pull it off, it actually could be the best hands-on you could get for mcse or whatever. but you will need to know the basics - most firms will expect engineers under maintenance agreements to appear and have the problem fixed within a few hours. don't bite off more than you can chew ;)
    A+ Moderator