Options

i_am_not_sure.co.uk

Hercules_UkHercules_Uk Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi - I am 27, currently looking for my first IT job and haven’t had much luck so far but its early days I guess (been at it for a week or so) – I graduated a year ago and since I ve passed my network+ and CCNA exam – in the near future I intent to go after the CCNP certification but not before I get any commercial experience.

I really want to pursue a career within cisco networking. however I am not sure what kind of job i should start with – when I look for IT jobs, I am not quiet sure what I should be looking for. Helpdesk, 1st or 2nd line support, support analyst, network support engineer, tech support and so on – to tell u guys the truth I don’t have much of a clue what any of these jobs would require me to do/have me doing or what i d be suitable for with my qualifications. I know this doesn’t sound too good

I didn’t realize the choices I d be given before applying and looking at jobs. I am kinda lost.
currently working towards MCSA and job searching..........

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Hi Herc, and welcome to the forums!

Congratulations on your successful completion of a BS and the networking certs. You have the beginnings of a good career.

I don't know what the IT employment picture is like in London, but be sure that you have developed your personal communication skills--people skills, I guess. IT training does not prepare you for dealing with every type of personality that you may encounter.

With your apparent learning abilities, I don't believe that you will have to wait very long to have some interviews for positions. But, do apply for all of the network related openings that you can find. Sometimes if you go to a helpdesk position, you will be there for a while, although, as a means to and end, you may have to start there to "get your foot in the door".

And, don't overlook the network security aspect of IT systems. If your BS transcript has some network security courses showing, you will have a good chance of getting employment. If there aren't any, get with a college that offers a certificate of study in the security area. That type of certificate will probably carry more weight with an employer than the Security+ or some other marketed security cert.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    thanx for ur reply mike and i guess ur right - i shouldnt overlook helpdesk jobs or apportunities that could well develop my personal communication skills or more - its turning out to be hard as it is to look for that perfect cisco related job that i am after - more or less all employers that i ve come across are after experienced candidates - takes me completely out of the picture
  • Options
    Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    For the first job: Take whatever you can get. Help desk jobs are over looked and I will tell you that answering phones for a couple of years is GREAT experience. The burn out rate is pretty quick though, but you are young and should be able to handle it.

If you got a help desk job for say an ISP, you are going to deal with a lot of "computer illeritate" folks and that would be tiring, but man, you would learn a lot about IP in the mean time.

Again, take whatever you can get right now. Get that critical first job and even more critical EXPERIENCE.

Good luck,

Mr. Ye
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    employers......are after experienced candidates

Very true! I don't think that an employer would want to entrust an expensive/secured Cisco network to the inexperienced. We have about 4 people at our support center that have asssociate degrees in Cisco networking, but they never did CCNA and now that they're doing support, the don't seem to be worrying about doing Cisco certs.

I agree with Mr. Ye. Pursue the open door. I have been, and I imagine that you will be too, surprised at how quickly the experience builds. And, if at all possible, because of the opportunity for advancement and the great variety of experience, go for the door in an enterprise system--a big one! Look for Helpdesk, or Service Desk, or Support Services positions.

Also, be sure to keep in contact with the people/fellow students at your college. Lots of times it is who you know, more than what you know that gets you in for an interview and a job.

Again, good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    janmike wrote:
    employers......are after experienced candidates

I don't think that an employer would want to entrust an expensive/secured Cisco network to the inexperienced.

definately mike, and i can appreciate that - i would probably do the same if i were in their shoes. however i see peeps like 'Pash' on this forum. you can read his topic named "The new job so far" - this is apparently pash's first proper IT job - he is CCNA Certified and i am not entirely sure weather he has an IT degree or not - he is being nurtured within the cisco enviroment the way I would love to - thats an entry level job and a half - i hope he realises how lucky he is and what excellent learning opportunity he has been given - would well prepare him for his CCNP.

the way i look at it - there are ideal opportunities out there for me and i intent to keep an eye out for them and remain patient for the time being or atleast for few weeks and see what responses i get from employers - i actually got a call yesterday for an ideal job regarding a Cisco network support job - they didnt seem too concerned weather i had experience or not as he went on to tell me how the company spends months and months training their staff before they attend to clients. should hear from them again soon