Windows Server 2003 SP2 Officially Released!

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's Release Candidate 2, available for testing.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/sp2.mspx
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mark,

The site hasn't been updated and says it's still on Release Candidate. It's just a lag between it being officially released and the site updating to its official final status. Also, SP2 is now a high priority update on Windows Update which means it's RTM not RC2. Here's a picture.

sp2oq1.jpg
    Cool, thanks for the head's up! :)
    I wonder what will break when I install it on all my production servers tomorrow? Hmm, maybe better wait a week or two. icon_lol.gif
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Cool, thanks for the head's up! :)
    I wonder what will break when I install it on all my production servers tomorrow? Hmm, maybe better wait a week or two. icon_lol.gif

You can always stay late tonight and do it!
    If I stay late tonight I'll end up looking like your avatar. :P
    Really? icon_lol.gif
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    Looks like Microsoft is making in a fun week for us. So let the horror stories begin of SP2 breaking stuff.
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    macdude wrote:
    Looks like Microsoft is making in a fun week for us. So let the horror stories begin of SP2 breaking stuff.

icon_lol.gif

I'm doing my MCSA study on my computer lab but won't install SP2 in case the tutorials in my MS Press book now don't match the SP2 changes.
    icroyal wrote:
    Really? icon_lol.gif

You got me! icon_lol.gif
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    plettner,

I am doing my mcse studies right now. I started to install it home tonight, but then decide against it, since it ain't the study guides. I'll play with it at work, since it will be coming down the line.
    macdude wrote:
    plettner,

I am doing my mcse studies right now. I started to install it home tonight, but then decide against it, since it ain't the study guides. I'll play with it at work, since it will be coming down the line.

I found some discrepanices between the my MS Press book and the supplied Server 2003 software. Expecially in the first section - installing AD and DNS. There seemed to be additional steps in what Sever 2003 showed to what the book described. I feel this could be dangerous espcially if the 70-290 uses a lot of simulation tasks.

Adding SP2 to the Server may change a particlular way of changing settings or doing something etc. within 2003.
    What discrepancies did you find?
    sprkymrk wrote:
    icroyal wrote:
    Really? icon_lol.gif

You got me! icon_lol.gif

I've been thinking about changing my avatar for some time, I figured it was perfect timing. :)
  • taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    thank you for this heads up.

downloading it now and will deploy in productions server soon.

lets see what it breaks. hehe....maybe it breaks VSS again...haha icon_lol.gif

thank you.

icon_lol.gif
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
    icroyal wrote:

I'll have a look this weekend. It was the first stage where the book tells you how to install the DNS. I'll detail it this weekend.
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    If I stay late tonight I'll end up looking like your avatar.

LOL :D
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    icroyal wrote:
    Really? icon_lol.gif

LOL icon_lol.gif
    stonecold26.jpg
    icroyal wrote:

Sorry about the delay.

I've found on page 1-22, excercise 3 between steps 4 and 5, I seem to get another wizard which asks about where DNS should be stored. In any case, I just use the defaults. But, in their Figure 1-4, they seem to have been able to configure a static IP - an option I don't get this option following their steps. They also seem to have DHCP installed. Again, I don't get this option. And these aren't mentioned in any of their steps.

I have tried this on a stand alone network but get the same discrepancies. icon_confused.gif
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Windows Server SP2

Things it has broken at various sites I support :
    - ISA 2004 (suddenly blocked SBS DHCP server )
    - RRAS VPN
    - Internal Outlook 2003 (could not see exchange server)RPC connector issues.

This can all be fixed if latest NIC drivers are installed and a couple of reg hacks.

Thanks Microsoft for the many sleepless nights.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
    SWM wrote:
    Windows Server SP2

- RRAS VPN

This can all be fixed if latest NIC drivers are installed and a couple of reg hacks.

Thanks Microsoft for the many sleepless nights.

Thanks for the info. We have held off so far. Will probably get to it in a week or two. I haven't seen a critical reason to roll it out yet, so were taking our time.
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    Windows Server SP2

- RRAS VPN

Thanks Microsoft for the many sleepless nights

Thanks for that SWM.

I've got it installed on my WSUS server and a test MOM server with no issues so far. Gonna hold off for another month or so for the rest of my environment me thinks icon_rolleyes.gif
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I have installed it on many W2003 32bit Standard Edition servers with no issues. It seems to cause a problem with SBS servers. Check out this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555912

Stephen
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!