Options

A+ Basic Info PLEASE

yourwhitebreadyourwhitebread Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys!

Well this is my first post and hopefully 1 of many. Ive been thinking alot about getting into a Pc service field tech and I thought the best way was to get certified. So I know a little about the A+ but not enough....i know im gonna get flamed for asking this but How difficult is it to actually get a good book to study..go and take the test and PASS and then go apply for an entry level job with a decent pay check?

PLEASE dont flame... I will do some searching around after this.

thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the site. Don't worry about getting flamed from this site, we are not like that. First thing I would do, is have a look at the A+ forums. A+ is a good certification to get started with the certification process and learn some fundamentals on the history of computing, as well as present computing. It "might" get you a job working at somewhere such as Geek Squad. Like I said, it's more of a learning the basic fundamentals and is often used as the 1st step in the certification game. As for material you can use, I'm not sure. I haven't followed A+ for a long time and I'm sure doing a little digging in the A+ section or even asking a question there will help you with what you are seeking. Good luck!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    There are a lot of great books covering the A+ certification (I can't remember any at the moment icon_redface.gif ). Just be aware that the new 2006 exams are now out with a shift towards a defined support role. IT Technicain, Depot Technical, Remote Support Technician.

There is one mandatory exam to sit and then you may chose one of the three "electives" exams. http://certification.comptia.org/a/ has the details of these. You should find one path that suits your goals.

Be aware that some learning material may be older A+ exam (2003 objectives I think). The test I believe the "old exams" are still available but subject to being phased out. You are probably best to study for the 2006 objectives and sit the new exams.
    A+ is a good certification to get started with the certification process and learn some fundamentals on the history of computing, as well as present computing.

I certainly agree with this. It will be a good start to getting certified.

My advice, is get a PC (even a second hand unit) if you don't have one. Get a good A+ book. And then pull that computer apart and put it back together and read the book.

Good luck.
  • Options
    SteelySteely Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "My advice, is get a PC (even a second hand unit) if you don't have one. Get a good A+ book. And then pull that computer apart and put it back together and read the book."
    Strongly Agree!!

There's nothing more motivating than to build a PC on your own. The whole experience is a great confidence booster. So if you could, try to do that first. There are many sites that teaches you step by step on building a basic pc to a high-end gamer pc. That's how I started out on my endeavor. And so far, I'm doing pretty good. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    yourwhitebreadyourwhitebread Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well thats what i did..i built my own game machine..i never had any experience and no help...just sorta read stuff online.

but back to the certificate....so where do most people go after you get your A+ certificate? or is getting the A+ just the very bottom of the totem pole? is this whole testing and certificate an "own your own" kinda thing or is it mainly for those hardcore get pass the test and move on to working at some huge corop like Intel fixing their computers?

the reason why im deligating on become A+ certified and working with PC's is cuz as im getting my general ed out of the way at a local community college im finding that its alot harder than what i thought and that maybe college isnt for me...i know im wrong but im jhust trying to earn some good money soon the next couple years just in case college doesnt work out.

thanks guys
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Can we get this moved down to the A+ forums please?

First Yourwhitebread, welcome to the site.

Second, to answer
    How difficult is it to actually get a good book to study..go and take the test and PASS and then go apply for an entry level job with a decent pay check?

Getting the book is easy. Try any bookstore or Amazon.com or Alibris.com. Meyers All-in-one or Sybex A+ books are the best out. (IMNSHO).

That said if you are looking to merely read a book and pass an exam, then your setting yourself up to be a very poor tech down the road.

CompTIA gears the exam toward a candidate with at least 500 hours of experience. So it's not meant for someone to just walk in cold and take it. Do people do this? Yep. Do they pass? Yep.

Once you have your cert will you land a 'good paying job'? If you are lucky, you'll maybe land something in the $8-$12 range depending on the going wage in your market. This isn't a high paying position, you may only find minimum wage (but now that's ridiculously high now isn't it... icon_evil.gif ) but if you think that holding an A+ with no experience is going to get you in the door at $20+ an hour......think again. And with so many people having A+ certifications on their resumes, without experience...it will be fairly difficult to just walk into a job (though luck could be on your side).

Shadow a professional. Work sales in a retail shop and build up some trust and relationships with IT people/ Depot Tech people and see what sort of experience you are able to pickup through this and some volunteer work. Or get a college degree. Or both.

If you are planning on investing your life's career choice into IT, don't treat the A+ exam as something to just get through to get a job. There are a LOT of skills that are needed to be a great tech and offer superior service to clients. Set up a lab, practice, surround yourself with talent and learn.....then consider the exam.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    Welcome to the site dude!

I have not found a job, and not even an interview after i had A+ and Net+
    i am currently working at Radio Shack..and still looking for IT position at anywhere, even in mid air..lol
    Dont get discouraged! Everyone has different background, and fate.
    Question is "are you getting into the field of IT beacause motivated by money?"
    If the answer is Yes, i recommend that you start finding a job like a car sales man.
    Sorry if i offended anyone who is currently selling cars or salesman.
    I just want you to get A+ because you want it! period.
    "decent paycheck" which you mentioned is good..because if you have asked "nice pay check" i would be disappointed in you..lol..just kidding!

dude!! let me tell you this
    a shoe polisher is shining other people's shoes, but what other people dont know that
    he has A+ certification, and what's in his mind.

good luck !

i need to go to sleep..lol
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."