Review: CEA-CompTIA DHTI+ Beta Exam

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
Disclaimer: This is a review of the CEA-CompTIA DHTI+ Beta Exam (HT1-201) taken in December 2006. The information in this review may not be accurate with regards to the first release of the live DHTI+ exam, expected in March 2007.

The CEA-CompTIA DHTI+ (Digital Home Technology Integrator) certification validates the basic skills and knowledge required to configure, integrate, maintain, troubleshoot, and comprehend the basic design concepts of electronic (analog) and digital home systems. Such systems include home entertainment (computers, wired and wireless networks, media servers, DVD and HDTV), home security (telephone, alarm and monitoring systems), and home automation (heating, air conditioning, and appliances).

The CEA-CompTIA DHTI+ certification is positioned as a replacement for the existing CompTIA HTI+ certification, and as competition to the CEDIA home theater certifications. DHTI+ is more than an update to HTI+ exams; DHTI+ is targeted at people with 18-24 months of experience with electronic (analog) and digital home entertainment, security, and control systems. The DHTI+ exam itself contains a newer set of objectives than HTI+, covering technologies that have entered the home since the last release of the HTI+ exams in 2002. HTI+ exam objectives that are minimal or absent from the DHTI+ exam include: structured wiring design and installation, building codes, home lighting, HVAC management, and water systems controls.

In comparison, the CompTIA HTI+ is an entry-level certification comprised of two exams (HT0-101 and HT0-102), which also cover many of the same objectives as the DHTI+, but also includes objectives for installation, structure wiring concepts, building codes, and basic hand and tools skills. The target market for HTI+ certification seems to be building contractors with electrical, water, and HVAC experience who want to branch-out into installing and integrating home technology systems. No such knowledge is required for the DHTI+ exam.

There are 115 questions on the DHTI+ beta exam, and the examinee is given 120 minutes to finish. Fifteen minutes is also given prior to the start of the exam for reading the exam agreement and instructions, and another 15 minutes to answer the questionnaire at the completion of the exam (this is the standard questionnaire for CompTIA exams and contains no beta-specific questions). The style and format of the exam questions are typical for CompTIA exams, so people who already have already taken other CompTIA exams should find the look-and-feel of the DHTI+ exam very familiar.

If only one word were used to describe this exam it would be “hardware.” People in the (D)HTI field work with electronic hardware; they install it, wire it, tune it, troubleshoot it and maintain it. Passing the DHTI+ exam requires the examinee know the details of how home technology equipment is used, functions, is connected, configured, conveys information, and is tested. The term “home technology” refers to every type of analog or digital system that you could possibly find in a modern home, and the more hands-on work experience you have with these technologies the better.

To get a specific idea of what’s covered, let’s look at the six domains of the DHTI+ exam:

1.0 Networking (20%)
2.0 Audio / Video (22%)
3.0 Telephony / VoIP (10%)
4.0 Security and Surveillance Systems (15%)
5.0 Home Control and Management (15%)
6.0 Troubleshooting Methodology and Documentation (18%)

Although these domains cover a diverse range of skills and expertise, they only apply to technologies that may be found in the home. For example, you should only need to know about residence telephone wiring and troubleshooting, and not how things operate at a Telco Central Office. Also covered are the best-practices used for successfully integrating customers with their new systems.

The networking domain covers networked devices, connectivity, topologies, and troubleshooting. All sorts of devices in the home can now use wired (Ethernet) or wireless (802.11, Bluetooth, IrDA, ZigBee) network communication. You should be familiar with troubleshooting common networking and connectivity problems associated with telephones, DSL and cable routers, wireless routers and firewalls, Ethernet networks, and networked Windows-based PCs. You’ll also need to know the different between things like “star-wiring” and “home-run wiring” topologies, and what kinds of hardware and software tools are used to troubleshoot network problems.

Audio and Video is a vast domain which covered everything from speaker impedance to DVT/HDMI compatibility. Learn everything you can about the latest television display and tuner technology, cable and satellite TV, configuring complex home entertainment system, and sources of interference and how to diagnose and fix them. An understanding of basic electronics theory, cabling, connectors, and analog and digital tools is also necessary.

For telephony and VoIP, you’ll need an understanding basic POTS (“red, right, ring”), network connectivity over POTS (ISDN and DSL), and packet network-based audio transmission (VoIP). Know how to wire and troubleshoot business and residence telephone systems, including PBX and key systems. Know your Telco and Telecom terms (http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/fs-1037/fs-1037c.htm), ANSI/TIA-968-A, and Code of Federal Regulations, Title 47, part 68. Learn the theory, application, configuration, and troubleshooting of VoIP systems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voip).

Security and surveillance systems cover a video variety of technologies, including cabling and wiring, computer networks, telephony, alarm sensors and control devices, cameras and lighting, A/V recording devices, and residential and business physical security planning. This is one domain where practical experience designing, installing, and maintaining modern alarm and surveillance system comes in real handy. You also better know your lumens from your LUX (http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/the_mysterious_lux_rating.htm).

Home control and management refers to the connection and use of any device that can control home electronics. Understand how these devices are used, what they can control, the communications protocols that they use (Z-Wave, X-10, ZigBee, and CEBus), and their advantages and disadvantages over one another. Be very familiar with industry standards and best-practices associated with home technology systems, including those from the ANSI/ ISO and the EIA/TIA. And learn how home environmental systems (HVAC) are designed and controlled (http://www.hometech.com/learn/hvac.html).

Troubleshooting methodology and documentation covers the tools used to troubleshoot networking, A/V, telephony, security, and home automation problems. Understanding what testing tools is used for a given technology or situation is very important. Also very important is understanding best-practices for project documentation, and the creation and use of credentials, passwords, and access codes.

So what and where do you study for the DHTI+ exam? First, thoroughly read the CompTIA DHTI+ FAQ at http://certification.comptia.org/hti/dhti_faq.aspx and get a copy of the of DHTI+ exam objectives from http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx. After reading the objectives, you’ll get very good idea of what technology subjects you’ll need to learn or just brush up on.

Next, Google for study information on the HTI+ exam. Much of the information in the HTI+ exam is relevant to the DHTI+, and it’s a good start your research (the twelve articles on the HTI+ exam at http://www.ecmweb.com/ar/electric_wired_home/ are rather good). Search for discounted HTI+ study guides using Amazon.com and Addall.com. Just keep in mind of what HTI+ material isn’t necessary to study for the DHTI+ exam.

Find out where people who specialize in the DHTI+ domains hang out. The DHTI+ exam contains no vendor-specific information, so don’t waste your time with product reviews. Instead, find forum discussions about the science, technology and industry of the DHTI+ exam’s objectives. Many home theater component Web stores have tech sections with good DHTI technology and industry information (check out: http://www.michiganhometheatre.com/guides.htm). For audio and video, I recommend the sites like the user forums at the Audioholics.com Online A/V Magazine: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/, Stereophile.com: http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/ubbthreads.php,
and the A/V Science forum archives: http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/.

Don’t forget to check Wikipedia.com for information on the DHTI topics that you are researching too (here’s the wiki page on A/V connectors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_and_video_connector). The Web also contains a lot of good home technology tutorials written for building contractor too.

And, of course, home computer networking and CompTIA certifications are thoroughly covered here on TechExams.net.

The DHTI+ is not a “quick and easy” certification as you may think. Even if you are a hard-core audiophile who knows how to use a soldering iron and multi-meter, have both the CompTIA A+ and Network+ certs, a home wireless network, remember the basic electronics you learned while studying for your HAM radio license, built your own home theater PC, and successfully installed Vonage, you will still need to do quite a bit of more studying and research to pass the DHTI+.

Comments

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    The DHTI+ Certification will be available March 16th
    http://certification.comptia.org/dhti/default.aspx

97 Questions
    90 Minutes
    Passing Score 680

Still waiting for the Beta results... Not so confident that I passed though.
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am also waiting for beta score results. I think I did fair on it due to the lack of study material.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I just received an email update from CompTIA stating that the results of the DHTI+ beta exams will be released in "early April."
    jdmurray wrote:
    I just received an email update from CompTIA stating that the results of the DHTI+ beta exams will be released in "early April."

I got the same email this morning.... The suspense is killing me! :)
    Seriously, I am very anxious to find out the results... I don't even mind if I failed I'm just curious.
    I don't want to jump the gun or anything but....

I have been logging into my prometric candidate history once a week just to see if they updated the DHTI+ results....

Well mine no longer says "Tested" it now says "Passed"!

Like I said, I don't really want to jump the gun since the CompTIA page does not yet show anything and I don't have anything else to show for it.
    Well mine no longer says "Tested" it now says "Passed"!
    My Prometric candidate history for the DHTI+ exam is also marked "Passed," but there's no entry yet in my certification progress for the DHTI+ cert on the CompTIA site either. There's also no indication that I enrolled in the DHTI+ beta exam. Hmmmm...

Is it still "early April?" icon_rolleyes.gif
  • jcondonjcondon Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mine went from tested to passed and now back to tested. But hey it's early April.
    jcondon wrote:
    Mine went from tested to passed and now back to tested. But hey it's early April.

Mine too.... Which is why I held off saying that I am DHTI+ certified. I thought something was up when I had heard from a half dozen people or so who took the Beta that they all had passed as well.... Not that it would be impossible but it is unlikely.... I still feel that there is a good chance that I did not pass. I'm just getting very curious about it.

But as you said it's still Early April icon_lol.gif
    Mine went back to passed again. Called Prometric to verify, they said I passed. Nothing on Comptia site to verify it though. Maybe this time it is real, then again maybe it's not. Only time will tell.
    How weird is that!????

I just checked my Candidate History earlier this morning because I just signed up for the 70-216 this morning and figured "Hey, While I'm logged in...." and it was still "Tested". So after I just read your post I went and checked and mine says "Passed" again as well.....

I'm very skeptical about it though.... I guess we will have to wait and see.
    I'm wondering if CompTIA experienced any technical glitches that caused them to loose the results of some exams. If so, they might need another beta cycle. Or maybe the exam was too easy and too many beta testers passed.
    I don't know... At first I was thinking that maybe the testing centers had not gotten them the results yet... But then I thought, they must know the results because they came up with the passing score of 680.

Also the test is now available to anyone to sign up for it. Maybe it has something to do with the first 250 passing the exam being automatically entered to win the TV? Perhaps they don't want to run into Beta testers trying to make a claim to that. I know it doesn't really specify that Beta Testers are excluded from that contest but it does seem implied to me.
  • Hungryman99Hungryman99 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took my test in a VUE testing center in December and I still haven't gotten results icon_evil.gif
    I took my test in a VUE testing center in December and I still haven't gotten results icon_evil.gif

I don't think any of the beta testers have their results yet... The best that we have at this point is a Candidate History... Of course so far only people who used Prometric have reported in on this as far as I know.
    My Candidate History also says I passed. But when I look at my history in the CompTIA website it doesn't even say I was enrolled or even took the test. I also took the Convergence+ Beta. It says failed in the Prometric website but it says currently enrolled in the CompTIA website.

I guess I will just wait for a certificate in the mail if it's true that I passed.
  • geniusbloodlinegeniusbloodline Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mines still says taken
    I just called Prometric and they told me to call CompTIA.

I called CompTIA and the customer service lady advised me the bottleneck was they were still getting the test results from Prometric.

I told her that it says Passed at the Prometric website and she said if it says Passed then thats the accurate result.

She said that at the moment they are getting all the information from Prometric as we speak.

Here is the number if you guys want a status of your certs.

CompTIA
    1-630-678-8300
    option 5 (Certification Program)
    I got the same info as above but the phone number I was given was 630-378-8300. I don't know which one is the correct one. This is the first test I have taken where getting the results takes more effort then sitting for the exam. icon_lol.gif
    NPA24 wrote:
    I called CompTIA and the customer service lady advised me the bottleneck was they were still getting the test results from Prometric.
    They're still getting test results from a beta that ended four months ago? Either there has been a technical problem or it's just CompTIA's canned response to that question.
    JDMurray wrote:
    NPA24 wrote:
    They're still getting test results from a beta that ended four months ago? Either there has been a technical problem or it's just CompTIA's canned response to that question.

Agreed... How else could they have determined the passing score without having the beta results?
    Just a thought.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    a few days ago, my result on prometric web site said that I Failed icon_rolleyes.gif

a few days later it changed back to tested icon_confused.gif:

now, it appears that I Passed :D

I hope that it stays like this icon_lol.gif
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    email from compTIA:

"Congratulations on completing the requirements for the CEA-CompTIA DHTI+ certification.
    You became certified on 11/22/2006. " icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
    I have not received any confirmation from CompTIA yet... Just prometric. Of course I did also take the exam about a month after you did.

Congrats on the pass!
    I received the e-mail a few minutes ago :D

I Became certified on 10-Dec-2006
  • candycorncandycorn Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didnt even know you could take beta exams...seems pretty cool.
    ITIL, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Healthcare IT Tech, MTA: Server Fundamentals, MCP, Apple Certified Associate, CIW Associate
    Congrats!

I just got my email as well! WooHoo! Certified as of 12/21/2006!
    same to you :)

I downloaded the logo, it looks ok ...

I wounder how the certificate and card looks like :؟:
    Dear James (Career ID#: COMP00XXXXXXXXXX)

Congratulations on completing the requirements for the CEA-CompTIA DHTI+ certification.
    You became certified on 12/30/2006.

Meetoo!!

icon_thumright.gif w00t! icon_thumright.gif

Where's that dancing banana when you need it?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congratulations James!
    Where's that dancing banana when you need it?
    icon_spiderman.gif ate it.
    Same here I just got the confirmation email from CompTIA.

Congratulations on completing the requirements for the CEA-CompTIA DHTI+ certification.You became certified on 12/15/2006.

Congrats to everyone!!!

I'll be celebrating this weekend.

Betas are great!