Intel Wireless

mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
I have a client with an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG with the newest drivers on an XP SP2 machine. When the client open the software an error pops up, which says something along the lines of the profile list cannot be updated...please wait for Intel to update the profiles. The profiles never get updated. I reinstalled the driver twice and it worked fine for a little while then the error popped up again. I've been searching Google and haven't found anything useful as of yet.

It's been a while since the last time I tried to fix this (problem just recently started again), but I believe the wireless worked fine when I was logged in as local admin. Anyone seen this problem before?
Working on Linux+

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I havent fixed this problem myself but I would suspect that its a permissions problem if its ok with Admin account. check what file it writes the configuration to and check user has correct access to this to edit.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It sounds like the Intel software is attempting to write profile information to the Windows Registry. The software may require you to be logged into Windows using an administrator account to use it. Have you checked the knowledge base on Intel's web site? Make sure that you have the latest version of the software. If it has been updated for Vista then the admin-only requirement should have been removed.
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    jdmurray wrote:
    It sounds like the Intel software is attempting to write profile information to the Windows Registry. The software may require you to be logged into Windows using an administrator account to use it. Have you checked the knowledge base on Intel's web site? Make sure that you have the latest version of the software. If it has been updated for Vista then the admin-only requirement should have been removed.

Yea, I'll check the registry permissions. It is the latest version of the software...that was the first thing I did. Luckily for her, it happened while she was on vacation, so I can't check until Monday. But I'll keep ya posted.
    Working on Linux+
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Just logon as admin and see if the problem still occurs. If not, logon as a non-admin user and see if the problem is there. There's a lot of Windows software that can only be installed or run as admin, but it is surprising to see a wireless networking connectivity app with that constraint.