Electric Question ( Help !!! )

moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
(1) A heated swimming pool has two heating elements, each rated at 10 KW, 230 V. The pool also uses a 1 KW filter pump. It takes 8 hours of running the heating elements continuously to get the pool up to right temperature

If electricity costs 15 cents per unit ( 1 unit = 1 KWH ) , what is the cost of the electricity required to heat the pool and run the pump ( for 8 hours ) ?

My answer : (0.15 cents ) ( 8 hrs ) ( 60 minutes ) = $72.00

(2) What is the combined current drawn by the pool heaters and pump from the 230 V supply ?

( I'am not sure of this one !!! )

Please dont just state the answer need explanations as well.

Comments

• IncInc Member Posts: 184
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends whether you are with Genesis or Mercury Energy icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    meh I will ask the teacher for help on monday

thanks for the help
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    moss12 wrote:
    meh I will ask the teacher for help on monday

thanks for the help

Good plan ;)

for a moment there I though I was on the landscaping forum :D
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will try to steer you in the right direction.
    You have to take into account that you have two heaters running for the eight hours not just one.
    Also you have to take into account that you have the pump also running at 1kw for eight hours
    As far as the second question, it seems to be just a simple equation problem. Maybe something like ohm's law. I cant remember which equation. Ill leave that for you to look up. you have to figure up what the amperage is. this shouldnt be to tough
    lungsucker.jpg
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks emmajoyce man sadly I have to take this paper even though majoring in network engineering
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think your first equation should be:

(10KW+10KW+1KW) x 8 hours x .15 cents = $25.20

Because you have 2 elements and 1 pump. A KW hour is the cost of running something at 1 KW for 1 hour.

The second question uses Volts x Amps = Watts
    Current is the same as Amps.

But it would look something like this:

230 x A = 10,000 for each element, and we'll assume the pump is 230 x A = 1,000.

Basic math tells you to figure it out like this:

10,000/230 = A or rounded to 43.5 (not sure how far you need to round it) and
    1,000/230 = A or rounded to 4.3

43.5 + 43.5 + 4.3 = 91.3 Amps

HTH
    All things are possible, only believe.