What cource for MCSE

Hey everyone,

Been thinking bout doing some Microsoft Certs. I have a CCNA and a diploma in network engineering, I would like to do maybe an Active Directory or just a General server 2003.

I have pretty good knowledge in both these areas as i work every them every day, however what im confused about is just the amount of different courses there are available.

To become an MCSE do you need to complete all of them or is it that your just an MSCE in a specific area, so like an MCSE in Active Directory?
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/default.mspx

There's MCSE 2003, MCSE: Messaging 2003, and MCSE: Security 2003.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    ok so to become and MSCE in Windows Server 2003 i need to sit 9 exams?

wow, thats a lot of work haha, and a hell of a lot of text books to buy as well.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
    Not sure where you are getting 9 exams since it's 7. It clearly states on the website Core exams (six exams required) and Elective exams (one exam required)

70-270
    70-290
    70-291
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297 or 70-298 (298 if you're going to go after Security specialization)
    One elective (70-284 for example)
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    right yea i added the upgrade exams to.
    thanks
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    icroyal wrote:
    70-297 or 70-298 (298 if you're going to go after Security specialization)

You'll also need 70-299 (Designing Security for Windows 2003) as well, or it may be 2 of the 3, it's been a while.
    Yes, 299 is one of the four electives you can do to achieve the elective requirement. You can get more information from the following site here to learn more about going after your Security specialization.

The 4 Security electives you can choose from are (you need 2 out of 4):
    Exam 70-299: Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network
    Exam 70-227: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2000, Enterprise Edition
    Exam 70-350: Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004
    CompTIA Security+

Now if you were going after your MCSE: Messaging, you would definitely want to do that 70-284 exam as your MCSE elective. Then you would simply do your 70-285 exam afterwards and you would then obtain your MCSE: Messaging specialization. You can get more information about the MCSE: Messaging specialization from the following site here

The 2 Microsoft electives you will NEED to do are:
    Exam 70-284: Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
    Exam 70-285: Designing a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Organization