Tax return... can I deduct Cisco gear??

opers13opers13 Member Posts: 100
Guys,

is it possible to deduct the Cisco gear as work-related educational expenses?

opers13

Comments

• KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Possibly!

Depends how you work and if the tax office will class it as comapny research/educational material. Phone your accountant or the local tax office. You might actually get away with it :))
    Kam.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Yeah, it is possible, depending on your state.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    opers13 wrote:
    Guys,

is it possible to deduct the Cisco gear as work-related educational expenses?

opers13

Possible yes.

Work with a CPA who is current to with the tax laws so you don't get hosed later on. Depending on your situation though, it may not be a good deduction i.e. you may be better off with a standard deduction.

You'll need receipts as well as be able to backup anything you claim. Also, if you bought the router on-line you may find you owe sales taxes if you didn't initially pay them.

So, I highly recommend working with a good CPA for unique deductions. Sure H&RBlokes can probably file it for you, as well as TurboTax probably has the forms....however working with someone who DOES this for a living can help advise you on those 'little' reasons that may be overlooked by a standardized form filler-outer ;)

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?