External HD

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Hey guys, its time to buy a new HD and was looking at external drives (easier to use between 3 machines) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations??

Oh and 'happy' monday morning icon_mad.gif
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    How will you be using this drive? Will it be equally accessed by all computers on your network, or will you be physically moving it to each computer (using USB or Firewire) to make backups?
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    More than likely moving from each machine to another.

Backup whats needed to keep (audio / video files) and use system HD's for OS and applications etc.

Uk based if that helps. :)
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    You can pretty much buy any internal drive and add your own drive enclosure. But for a one package solution, I highly recommend the Western Digital MyBook:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=224

cheers~
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    looks like a good option to me cheers.

Just wondering has anyone had any particular problems with any external HD's in respect of Linux compatability?
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Sie wrote:
    any particular problems with any external HD's in respect of Linux compatability?

I had an enclosure once where the drive would freeze the computer if I only unplugged the cable without unmounting it, but I wasnt sure if the enclosure itself was actually linux-compatible, so that might have been the cause.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Make sure the external drive enclosure you buy supports both USB 2.0 and FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b) to get the faster data transfer rates. USB and FireWire don't require a special driver under Windows, Linux, or OS X, but the enclosure does need to be recognized by the plug-n-play system and the drive (un)mounted.
    Cheers for the comments guys.

The Mybook looks like a good choice to me.

Thanks again.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I'm using a single 300gb from Seagate, USB/Firewire...works pretty well. I use it to backup all PCs in my house, once configured on each machine, just plug it in, push a button, and everything is backed up.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I am using a 500GB maxtor one touch on a windows 2003 Server edition and it seems to work, but not how it is supposed to. Everytime I click the button it gives me maxrestore.dll not found. I click OK on the error message and then it backs up like it should.

I am thinking my antivirus software viewed that .dll as a virus and locked the file down. I will make that my priority for today.

Other than that I love the one touch backup hard drives.