**CCNA FAQ** - Please read before posting.

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
CCNA FAQ

Information about the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) -- the required exam(s) -- can be found on the Cisco website.
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Career Certifications & Paths - CCNA

Following are some of the most common questions in our forums. If you have the same or similar questions, please read these topics first. If you cannot find the answer your are looking for, or want to know more, don't hesitate to post a reply to one of the following or start a new thread. In case of the latter, please use a clear descriptive title (i.e. more than just "I need help") so others can find answers in our forums more easily.

icon_confused.gif: What Books would you recommend for the CCNA?
icon_arrow.gifIs this enough?
icon_arrow.gifcisco newbie
icon_arrow.gifWas this book helpful to you?
icon_arrow.gifNewbie, currently going for CCNA
icon_arrow.gifSybex and Cisco Press editions
icon_arrow.gifBooks for studying
icon_arrow.gifCCNA Sybex Todd Lammle
icon_arrow.gifAnd now, a word about the Cisco Press books
icon_arrow.gifwhat book to use for exam?

icon_exclaim.gifOdom Certification Library AND Todd's Sybex book (6th Edition)
The Wendell Odom Cisco Press CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition and Todd Lammle's CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802, 6th Edition are the books most recommended by TechExams.Net members.

icon_confused.gif: I don’t have any equipment should I buy a Simulator?
icon_arrow.gifCCNA Router Simuluators
icon_arrow.gifadvice needed, no access to routers
icon_arrow.gifwhat is the best CCNA Network Simulator out there?
icon_arrow.gifRouterSim - Tidbit of advice
icon_arrow.gifBoson Net Sim
icon_arrow.gifCan you please tell me the best CCNA Sim software
icon_arrow.gifSo the best sim is _____________?
icon_arrow.gifBest practice test and best Sim?
There is a mixed opinion on this and in the end you will have to decide for yourself. Simulators and real labs both have their merits. It's advisable to buy at least some equipment if you plan to put your certs to work and don't have hands-on work experience with cisco routers and switches. You just can't simulate feeling and connecting cables and connectors.

icon_confused.gif: I want to setup my own home lab what should I buy and how do I set it up?
icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml
icon_arrow.gifhome lab -- feeback
icon_arrow.gifSetting up a lab
icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/61082-ccent-ccna-beginner-lab-setup-help.html
icon_arrow.gifThe "Matt George" guide to Cisco IOS
icon_arrow.gifWhere to buy cisco lab kits
icon_arrow.gifWhere to start?
icon_arrow.gifHardware for CCNA?
icon_arrow.gifDoes this router support intervlan routing?
icon_arrow.gifSDM on non ISR Routers
icon_arrow.gifCCNA Home lab question
icon_arrow.gifWhat type of Router to purchase
icon_arrow.gifHome Lab Q
icon_arrow.gifwhat routers to buy for ccna?
icon_arrow.gifHow to Setup a TFTP Server & Backup/Restore 2500 IOS
icon_arrow.gifThe future of Cisco IOS images

icon_exclaim.gif802.1Q Encapsulation Support on Cisco 2600/3600 Series Routers
802.1Q encapsulation is now available on the built-in 10BaseT Ethernet interfaces of the Cisco 2610, 2611, and 2612 with Cisco IOS software 12.2(2)T and subsequent releases. Although this feature has been available on the Cisco 2600/3600 series since the release of Cisco IOS 12.1(5)T, support was previously limited to Fast Ethernet interfaces only. 802.1Q is not supported on any other Cisco 2600/3600 series 10BaseT Ethernet interface.
icon_exclaim.gifDownloading and Installing Cisco Router and Security Device Manager (SDM)
Table 1 lists the routers and Cisco IOS versions currently supported by SDM.
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Security Device Manager Multimedia Demo

For equipment try www.ciscokits.com

icon_confused.gif: Subnetting
icon_arrow.gif TechExams.net IP Subnet Calculator for Windows
icon_arrow.gifTechExams.net IPv4 Subnetting TechNotes
icon_arrow.gifTechExams.net IP Subnetting Practice Test

icon_arrow.gifVLSM, Summerization, and Wildcard Masks
icon_arrow.gifSubnetting question...
icon_arrow.gifIP Subnet Zero
icon_arrow.gifA good subnetting table?
icon_arrow.gifsubnet mask and Boolean Algebra
icon_arrow.gifIP Addressing - Identify Broadcast Address
icon_arrow.gifValid IP addresses range and Broadcast address
icon_arrow.gifSilly Subnetting
icon_arrow.gifSubnetting Question (to subnet zero or not to subnet zero)

icon_exclaim.gifLearn To Subnet Website
icon_exclaim.gifSubnetting Questions Website

icon_confused.gif: How do the actual simulator questions work and how are they scored?

As mentioned in Cisco's Certifications Online Support section, the sims carry greater weight than regular test questions in calculating the final score. This is something most people do know or at least assume, which only led to more questions. Understandable.

Below are two quotes from the Certfications Online Support section at cisco, the first is rather logical...
Cisco wrote:
Router simulation exams items will accept abbreviated commands that an actual Cisco router will understand. For example: 'Show Config' or ‘Sho Cofig’ or ‘Sh Conf’ and ‘Router #show ip protocol’ or ‘router # show ip prot’ would be acceptable. The exam commands must include the correct spacing, spelling and marks (#@!?).
Cisco wrote:
The router simulation exam questions do not require candidates to save the configuration prior to exiting the simulation question to receive credit.
I did save the config on all my sims (BSCI exam and CCNA intro beta), and wouldn't have passed if the sims were counted wrong cause I had plenty on the BSCI exam.

This leaves the tab mystery unsolved, however, the tutorial sim below suggests the sims work like an actual router:

"This is only a demo of an actual exam simulation. On the exam, the terminal emulation program would respond just as it would when connected to a router"
(This is also my experience, it was fully functional, though I don't know if I actually used the tab, not much used in real world either).

icon_arrow.gifwww.cisco.com/go/examtutorial

If you have any more questions feel free to reply to this topic. Do not ask about or mention the topics of the sim or discuss any required steps for specific sims. Everything related to the CCNA objectives that cover something that can be configured, is a possible topic for the CCNA exam. You need to know them all, not just the once Cisco happens to have currently in their exams, or someone else got last week. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I hope this solves some of the mysteries around the sims. As I mentioned in a previous post, focus on the topics, gain the knowledge and skills to configure a real router (or a good sim product) and you'll do fine on the actual sims.

Check out this interesting article which includes some information about how much the sims weigh and how they are scored (partial credit):
http://tcpmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=80

icon_idea.gifOther Cisco Resources
icon_exclaim.gifCCNA Prep Center
icon_exclaim.gifCCNP Prep Center
icon_exclaim.gifCertification Exam Tutorial
icon_exclaim.gifHow NAT Works
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Learning Connection - Network Fundamentals
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Learning Connection - Routers
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Learning Connection - Switches
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Learning Connection - IP Routing
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Learning Connection - Routing Protocols
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Learning Connection - Wireless
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Learning Connection - Security and VPN
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Learning Connection - Voice and Unified Communications
icon_exclaim.gifCisco on Cisco Technology Tutorials
icon_exclaim.gifUsing the Technical Support and Documentation Website
icon_exclaim.gifCisco Documentation Website

icon_exclaim.gifNDA and Forum rules
Ten9t6 wrote:
All,

First I want to say welcome to the Cisco section of TechExams. Let me know if you have any questions during your visit. We have some very knowledgeable members that are more than willing to help you out.

BUT...

We do have some rules. It is ok to talk about areas that are good to focus, (like the blueprint for the test) but it is not ok to state what questions or sims you had (To be more clear....do not say I had two on OSPF and one on Underwater Basket Weaving..Yes, I know that is not getting specifics...but you should not be mentioning these at all. It is not my NDA or TechExams NDA...it is what you signed w/ Cisco.) icon_wink.gif If you can't face the question or the sim, without a heads up, your not ready for the exam.

Again, welcome to the forum. Learn as much as you can. Help when you can help. And please watch what you post.

Thanks...
Ten9t6
mikej412 wrote:

Cisco Candidate Conduct Policy
No candidate will take any action that will compromise the integrity or confidentiality of a Cisco Certification examination or otherwise compromise the integrity of the Cisco Certification program. Such actions include but are not limited to:
• Disseminating actual exam content via web postings, discussion groups, chat rooms, study guides, etc.
Cisco Career Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement

The main guts of the Cisco NDA is "contents of the exam are confidential."
You agree that the contents of the exam are confidential and that the disclosure of that information could compromise the integrity of the Program and of Certifications. Cisco makes exams available to you solely to test your knowledge of the exam subject matter for which you seek Certification. You are expressly prohibited from disclosing, publishing, reproducing, or transmitting any exam and any related information including, without limitation, questions, answers, worksheets, computations, drawings, diagrams, length or number of exam segments or questions, or any communication, including oral communication regarding or related to the exam (known collectively as “Proprietary Information”), in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, oral or written, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, without the prior express written permission of Cisco.
From Cisco Online Certification Support
As a matter of policy Cisco Systems, Inc. does not disclose the content of our certification exams. This includes exam pass marks, the exact number of questions on each exam, as well as the number of each type of question a candidate will see during their exam.

Thanks for sending the links Wildfire!

Johan

Comments