Options

cisco crashes on many connections ?

Libero78Libero78 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I have a annoying problem whit my cisco 877, every time i start my azureus client (bittorrent) my whole connection dies, so i cant simulatanius browse the web and use azureus.
I also tried another bittorrent client but had the same problem.
The strange thing is i also have this cheap old smc router wich seems to have no problems with torrents and browsing at the same time.
I think it has something to do with either bad natting or qos ?
but im not even ccna so i have no idea what to do about it, can someone give me a clue ?
Cogito Ergo Sum

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Sounds like duplex mismatch.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Libero78 wrote:
    The strange thing is i also have this cheap old smc router wich seems to have no problems with torrents and browsing at the same time.
    Some cheap old routers just ignore and drop excess connection and happily form new connections that they'll drop in a few minutes. Other cheap routers will do the same thing the Cisco Router is doing, but don't have the configuration capability to fix it.

Try reducing the number of connections allowed in your software. Check, and probably reduce, your speed configured in your software. That's the standard fix for this standard p2p problem.

If that doesn't work, if you're not using usb or wireless network cards to reach your internet connection, check your internet connection and speed. If you are wireless (or USB) -- then try and take that out of the mix and use a regular wired network connection to test.

Until you learn enough to figure out the Cisco Router, you may be better off just running that cheap old smc router.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Libero78Libero78 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Libero78 wrote:
    Some cheap old routers just ignore and drop excess connection and happily form new connections that they'll drop in a few minutes. Other cheap routers will do the same thing the Cisco Router is doing, but don't have the configuration capability to fix it.

Try reducing the number of connections allowed in your software. Check, and probably reduce, your speed configured in your software. That's the standard fix for this standard p2p problem.

If that doesn't work, if you're not using usb or wireless network cards to reach your internet connection, check your internet connection and speed. If you are wireless (or USB) -- then try and take that out of the mix and use a regular wired network connection to test.

Until you learn enough to figure out the Cisco Router, you may be better off just running that cheap old smc router.

thx for your reply, but isnt there anything i can do in the cisco to correct this ?
    i heard about quality of service, isnt that a way to give http traffic more urgence over torrent trafic ?
    or increase the amount of connections the router can hold ?
    Cogito Ergo Sum
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Libero78 wrote:
    thx for your reply, but isnt there anything i can do in the cisco to correct this ?
    i heard about quality of service, isnt that a way to give http traffic more urgence over torrent trafic ?
    or increase the amount of connections the router can hold ?
    Yes -- that's exactly what you'd do, if you have the IOS version and memory to support it. But if you have your software configured to use more bandwidth than you have, then you're still going to lose some bandwidth and connections if you configure the router properly to deal it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!