Dynamips router to real router

loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

It's been a while since I last posted here, after passing the CCNA I gave myslef a rest from routers and went for a MCP.

I am starting to study for CCNP now and decided to setup Dynamips to setup a lab together with my CCNA lab.

I have dynamips up and running fine with two 7200 series routers and the idea is to get my 2500 series routers connected to them.

I am trying to figure out how to configure dynamips to do that.

I have simple1 network file edited as follows:
[localhost]

image = c:\Program Files\Dynamips\images\c7200-js-mz.122-11.T.bin

npe = npe-400
ram = 160

ROUTER R1
s1/0 = R2 s1/0
f0/0 = LAN 1

router R2
# No need to specify an adapter here, it is taken care of
# by the interface specification under Router R1

I have a cable from eth0 in one of my 2500 routers to my ethernet card in my pc, they comunicate perfectly. but I can't ping from R1 in dynamips to my PC. all three ethernet interfaces are in the same subnet (192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0).

there's virtually no configuration made to the dynamips routers or the 2500 router, just hostnames and ip addresses.

I tried use "search" to find some help on this but I had no luck.

Could anyone point me in the right directino getting this to work?

I am sure it is a simple configuration but I haven't really used dynamips more than this hour and a half setting it up for the first time, so I am quite lost with it. But I am sure you have the answer.

Thanks.

Comments

• loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have just found some information on this, I will give it a go. Any further help would be good too!.

thanks
  • loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep, it's working.

This is my simple1 network file now:
    [localhost]

image = c:\Program Files\Dynamips\images\c7200-js-mz.122-11.T.bin

npe = npe-400
    ram = 160

ROUTER R1
    s1/0 = R2 s1/0
    f0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:\Device\NPF_{4B898739-36C9-49B2-898E-21F922985941}

ROUTER R2

# No need to specify an adapter here, it is taken care of
    # by the interface specification under Router R1

To get the information for the line "f0/0 = NIO_......" I ran "network device list" in the dynagen menu and copied and pasted the info form my ethernet card.

That's seems to be all I needed to do.

Cheers
  • bylsan_omanbylsan_oman Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hay guys

i am ccna certified and i am taking ccnp courses and i realy want to know from
    beginig how to install dynamips and how to configer it step by steps and i am new in techexams fourm

so i need help from you guys :)

i will be thankful if you help me

ur sis

bylsan_oman icon_redface.gif
    I can't smile without you
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif"Hay" and Welcome!

There is a lot to setting up dynamips. Even if someone tried to give you a step by step, you would still need some other resources to get it going if you are new to it.

I would highly recommend the COD by Brian off of Internetworkexpert and also the hacki forum, and also the tutorial that I think is on the DL page.

Here are the links:

http://www.internetworkexpert.com/resources/iosonpc.htm

http://7200emu.hacki.at/index.php

http://dynagen.org/tutorial.htm

Its going to take you a little research, a few images, and some time to get it going and stable. So delve into it and when you have more specific questions, I'm sure someone here can help.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!