How much time do people spend at work?

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Was just sat here looking at few stats, you know the kind on average you spend X amount of time asleep in a year, you spend X amoubt of time on the toilet and wondered:

How much time do people spend at work?

Or a more interesting question, how much time do you spend working at work?
(Study and building knowledge whilst related to work is not counted as you dont get paid to do this, unless someone out there does??)
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wake up at 7AM, get my shower and leave by 7:30AM. I arrive at work shortly before 9AM which is the time I begin my daily tasks. I leave at 5:30PM, with an hour for lunch which I can take at any point throughout the day. Honestly I only take a short 10-20 minute lunch...with the rest of the time sitting in front of a machine working.

Often if I have a lot to do, I'll stay late and do it even though I'm not getting paid. It's easier to get a lot of the hard stuff out of the way so I don't have to deal with them the next morning. I will often work until 9-10PM, head home and sleep...then repeat the cycle.

No wonder I'm always stressed. icon_cry.gif

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I'm up at 6:15 or 6:30AM, out the door by the latest 7AM. I drive an hour to work, usually get in a little early, between 7:40 or 8:00AM and work until 4:00PM. I have to work out of hours maybe 3 or 4 times a month which isn't bad b/c I get to flex that time and take off using it whenever I want. I have a pretty flexible schedule which is good b/c being a new parent, you never know when you're gonna need some time off. I'd say I probably work between 40-45 hours a week which is rare in this field.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    About 40 hours per week. Sometimes more if a client is doing something big an they need us there early and/or late. I still do quite a bit of work at home which is my choice. Sometimes I like to read material, play with labs, etc... If you take that into consideration, it could be like 50+.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work four ten hour days. I get every monday off. I get up at 5am and out the door by 6am. I try to get up at 4am somedays to run at the gym for an hour. Im at work by 7am and leave at 530pm. anything over that is OT.
  • boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I am at work around 8:30am and work til about 5. I take an hour lunch and usually split it up with a quick lunch and working out for about 50 mins later on during the day. I do take phones home with me on occasion and only get calls if there is a question someone has. I do spend time during the day on the internet(on this site) and browsing around when things are slow. Counting about 15-20 hours a week for school(that is work, isnt it) so I am over 50 for the week every week.
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    We work 37.5 hour weeks at the college. During the year, it's 7:30am - 4pm. This semester, I am teaching 3 classes (as an adjunct) so it's 7:30 - 5:15 (m-th) with no lunch break on Tu-Th.

During the summer we work 7-5 (M-W) 7-4:30 (Th) with Friday off. Same 37.5 hours a week, just squeezed into 4 days.

Anything over 37.5 hrs a week goes to comp time. The college is closed 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 week for Spring Break (last week), 2 days in the fall for Fall break, and 3 days Thanksgiving week.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    40 hrs. a week. 7-4 1 hr for lunch. salary non-exempt.
    anything less than 4 hrs. is considered personal time. very flexible
    6 weeks vacation
    call-outs (if they catch me) are a 4 hr minimum. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Up with the sun, gone with the wind... No! Wait! That's Bob Seger.

I am an IT Manager and salaried. Up at 5:30, exercise (varies) and eat and I'm out the door NLT 7:10. 40 minutes to work. Then work till 5:30 or 6, later when required. Lunch at my desk most days. If it's light out when I get home, I'll do some yard work or walk the dog with She Who Must Be Obeyed (no kids at home). I read most nights (fiction mostly (I get enough reality throughout the day)) or study for whatever cert I may be working on (MCSE 2K3 these days), but watch TV occasionally. I do like "The Office." Normally sound asleep by 10 or 10:30.

I like to put in a Saturday morning now and then. I can get more done in three hours on a Saturday than I can in a whole day during the week.

I have a good life, but I worked my ass off to get here.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
    So far this year 14 hour days, last year I probably averaged 12 hour days; we've lost some staff and have not been approved for additional hiring.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wow its nice to see people do the commute i have to do aswell, losing 3 hours a day purely on travel is depressing though :<. Up at 5.30am leave home at 6.30am at work just before 8am. Work until 4.30pm every two weeks, and then i do a 10.30am until 7pm which is ok because i miss the peak time madness. And like the above people i sometimes work unpaid hours to continue tasks i wan't finished but also my company is very good at paying overtime where needed.

I work for a japanease company though, so even my hours look wimpy compared to some, my line manager is in from 8.00am to 9pm everyday, i simply couldnt do that.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    25 minute commute
    8-5 with 1 hour lunch (though normally you can tack on an extra 15 minutes at the beginning and 30-60 at the end on a good day, and working some at home in the evening)
    During the summer, we only work 1/2 Fridays
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    4h/day commute.

700 - waking up, exercise complex, tea
    740 - train
    905 - trolley
    925 - shopping for breakfast
    945 - eating breakfast at work (we have a nice kitchen)
    1000 - start working (read - open forums and press refresh)
    1630 - mouse drops out of my hand
    1730 - train
    1915 - home

rinse and repeat. some days I go home even earlier, it depends on situation.

Oh, and I usually skip lunch or have a light one at my desk (if it's a sandwich) or in kitchen, if I want something hot.

Summary: ~12h/day spent out of the house
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I used to commute before we started having kids and I realised that life is far to short for that sort of thing and would rather take a lesser paying job and get those hours back. My father in law communted 3-4 hours a day, five days a week for 20 years. Staggering. My wife relates how they hardly ever saw their dad and when he was home, he was either dead tired and irritable, busy doing jobs/shopping, sleeping or getting ready to go work. Now I have young kids of my own, that time with them is far too valuable to waste on a cummute to a job, however highly paid it is.

These days I live half hour from work (as far as I am willing to travel) and I am in work by 8 (so I have breakfast with the kids and see them off to school with the mrs. I am home by 6 so they have only been at home 1-2 hours, enough time to get changed, get their homework done and we all sit down to dinner. (I insist on us all sitting down to dinner at the dining table every day - tele off, no music and just talk about what went on during the day at school or at home) I have the weekends off with them too. I have learned from speaking with other parents, not to waste a minute of the kids while they are young. Once they get to 10-12, you hardly see them from then on apparantly.

I'm 42 now and you get to realise that quality of life, especially when you start having a family, is far more important in the long term than financial gain or luxuries. When your young is when you put in the hard graft to reach up to the plataeu where you can be comfortable. So glad that time is all behind me.
    Kam.
  • emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am supposed to work 9am to 5.30pm but if I am working from the office I am usually in by 8am and leave between 5&6. I then have a 7 minute commute to contend with, thats 7 minutes each way icon_eek.gif

Most weeks Iam working away. This week I left home at 3pm on Sunday, drove for 5 hours to the hotel I am staying in. I am at work every morning by 8am and wont be leaving until 6ish. Then its back to the hotel room, login and do another 3 hours work!

Should be home by 10pm on friday night and then back out again mid-afternoon on sunday.

At least I am clocking up the Holiday Inn reward points. Got 14 nights free accomodation in Canada last year thanks to work.

Jon
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Alarm @ 7.00 - watch breakfast news then shower

Breakfast @ 7.30

Log on and do site check on another site

Leave for work @ 8.10

At desk by 8.30 with caffiene to read email and scratch butt icon_lol.gif

Out to clients usually between 9 & 9.30 and spend the day in and out as needed

Lunch - whenever I feel the need

Bail for home @ 5.00

Check email when home usually around 5.30 then on bike about 6.00

I occasionally do remote admin for clients during the evening and of course there is always new installs and migrations done after hours.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Kaminsky wrote:
    I used to commute before we started having kids and I realised that life is far to short for that sort of thing and would rather take a lesser paying job and get those hours back. My father in law communted 3-4 hours a day, five days a week for 20 years. Staggering. My wife relates how they hardly ever saw their dad and when he was home, he was either dead tired and irritable, busy doing jobs/shopping, sleeping or getting ready to go work. Now I have young kids of my own, that time with them is far too valuable to waste on a cummute to a job, however highly paid it is.

These days I live half hour from work (as far as I am willing to travel) and I am in work by 8 (so I have breakfast with the kids and see them off to school with the mrs. I am home by 6 so they have only been at home 1-2 hours, enough time to get changed, get their homework done and we all sit down to dinner. (I insist on us all sitting down to dinner at the dining table every day - tele off, no music and just talk about what went on during the day at school or at home) I have the weekends off with them too. I have learned from speaking with other parents, not to waste a minute of the kids while they are young. Once they get to 10-12, you hardly see them from then on apparantly.

I'm 42 now and you get to realise that quality of life, especially when you start having a family, is far more important in the long term than financial gain or luxuries. When your young is when you put in the hard graft to reach up to the plataeu where you can be comfortable. So glad that time is all behind me.

YOU, sir, are a smart man.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Work Mon-Fri 8:00AM or 9:00AM (depending on the previous night icon_lol.gif ) ~ 5:00PM.

Up anywhere from 7:15Am~ 7:40AM. I live in a sub division 500 yards from work. No traffic lights or traffic on my 30 second commute. My sub division is surrounded and owned by three nice golf courses that give free range balls to owners and 25% off fees so when the weather is fair I hit balls or play 9 holes during lunch. I may also go home for lunch watch sports center and throw something on the grill.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    in a week:

full time student: 26 hours
    part time database analyst: 20 hours
    indepedent network technician: 3-5 hours
    lunches: 2-4 hours
    commuting: 7 hours

for everything else, there's giving up sleep... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Wake up at 7:20, leave by 7:30...can't stop hittin that damn Snooze button icon_evil.gif
    Make it to work hopefully by 8...depending on traffic.
    Mon-Fri 8-5 maybe 5:30 with usually just a half hour lunch.
    Get home around 6ish.
    Usually I spend time researchin some new product or technology I heard about or play some video games.
    Eventually I'll get a call from an engineer talking about how he should have admin privileges so he can install pirated software. It's the same guy all the time and he only calls me on nights I'm havin a party icon_rolleyes.gif
    Working on Linux+
    garv221 wrote:
    Work Mon-Fri 8:00AM or 9:00AM (depending on the previous night icon_lol.gif ) ~ 5:00PM.

Up anywhere from 7:15Am~ 7:40AM. I live in a sub division 500 yards from work. No traffic lights or traffic on my 30 second commute. My sub division is surrounded and owned by three nice golf courses that give free range balls to owners and 25% off fees so when the weather is fair I hit balls or play 9 holes during lunch. I may also go home for lunch watch sports center and throw something on the grill.

OK. You win!
  • drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    I wake at 5:00 AM and workout, get ready and head to the office by 6:15 AM. Usually I'm there at 6:45 AM or 7:00 AM - work through lunch (most days) and leave at 4:30 PM. Go home...there by 5:00 - 5:30 PM. I usually spend two hours or so in the evening studying for a cert or school work, depending on what I need to accomplish. In bed by 9:30 - 10:00 PM (no need to stay up any longer...I have a DVR). Rinse and repeat.

So, I perform work work-related activities (including my commute) approximately 60+ hours per week.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Up at 0530 and out the door at 0545. Get to work by 0615, have coffee and check email. Take a working lunch at my desk. If the day goes well, leave at 3-3:30PM and home by 4PM. If the day is busy or something bad happens I might not leave until 5-5:30PM. Usually home for supper with the wife and kids around 5PM, enjoy the rest of the evening most of the time. Sometimes work from home for an hour or two after putting the kids to bed.

Travel 4-6 times per year for a week or two each time.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    shower by noon

leave for work shortly after one

eat lunch between 1 and 1:45

clock in around 2

work til 4, 15 minute break (paid)

work til 6 or 7, 1 hour lunch break

work til 9:30, 15 minute break (also paid)

leave at 11pm.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nothing special here. 9 am - 6 pm. M-F.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Thought i better post since i started this!

Mines varies slightly its either:

Up at 5, out the door at 6 and at work for 7.
    or
    Up at 7, out the door at 8 and at work for 9.

Then i'll grab a sandwich or something for mu 'lunch' I say lunch but if i stay at my desk its always, "I know your busy but can you just....." icon_rolleyes.gif

Im sure everyone gets that though.

Apart from that its the usuall 10-15 cups of coffee. (If you train your users to bring you coffee with a problems it works out quite well icon_lol.gif )

Then its home at either 5 or 7 depending on the start time.

Every other week I do 12 hours Saturday and Sunday but i have a couple of days off in the week.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sie wrote:
    (If you train your users to bring you coffee with a problems it works out quite well icon_lol.gif )

Are you available to train my users? Who do I write the check out to? icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Sie wrote:
    (If you train your users to bring you coffee with a problems it works out quite well icon_lol.gif )

Are you available to train my users? Who do I write the check out to? icon_lol.gif

Interesting concept.

User: "Will this take long to solve?"
    You: "It'll go faster if you get me a cup of coffee."

Sounds fair to me ;)

or:

User on support phone: "I'm having a problem and need help fast"
    You: "I'm reeeeallly busy right now. But if the problem comes with a fresh cup of coffee I'll be right with you"

After doing this for a while you should get some sort of Pavlov effect. icon_lol.gif
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    My current job:

38 hours a week but we work 40 hours and get a day off each month (19 day month). There's always an hour here & there extra I do. I only get a ½hour lunch and supposed to have a 15minute morning break (but rarely do). Hours are usually 8:00 to 16:30.

My new job (not yet commenced):
    I'm yet to work out the details for the new job as I haven't started it yet but I dare say the same details as the organistaion is similar to where I'm at now.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sie wrote:

Can I expand on this .... not only do I have several clients trained to bring me coffee I actually have one that has a coffee shop sized expresso machine at his home and it is a ritual to have 3 different style coffees each time I visit - which is usually 3 or 4 times a year icon_lol.gif

Now our senior engineer has it worked out even better - he had one client pay him 2 hours to train him how to use the new expresso machinehe put in to treat his clients and the lucky sod visits there weekly to 'discuss issues' icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    It happened by accident really:

One user emailed me about a problem and I replied with my usual:

"Let me grab a coffee and i'll be over"

She offered to fetch the coffee for me if I came now.

Whilst fixing it I playfully mentioned she should suggest it to her collegaues as a far to get me there quicker.

I went back to my desk and thought nothing of it till someone later appeared at the door with a coffee and asked if I could have a look at something. icon_lol.gif

Trick is to make them think they are getting something more by doing it when your just really doing your job. icon_wink.gif

Since they make extra effort I make extra so i gues they do get more out of me but its a fair trade off.