Warcraft 3 installation problems, please help.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
My pc totally messed up a while back, deleting all user accounts and settings, plus removing all software from the programs list, but keeping it on the hard drive. This messed up Warcraft 3, but it was still playable by executing from the parent directory. I tried to patch it and it wouldn't work, so I tried to reinstall. Well, when I try to install, it gets hung up, then says there is an error with Setup.mpq and War3.mp3. I suspected a bad cd at first, after trying both drives in this pc to no avail, but then I tried it in another pc and it installed just fine. I know that both my DVD drive and CD-RW drive are good, as every other program installs fine and we have had no other trouble.

Anyone have any clue as to what type of software problem may be causing the installation to lock up and an error to come up saying the cd may not be in the drive? Please help in any way possible! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There could be a number of reasons why you're having this problem. You can at least count out that it's a hardware problem. You know your CD drives work fine so you know it's not the drives. The problem now points to software. Have you tried running any Window updates??? or updating your video and sound drivers? Software is weird like that, when you run a random update for whatever reason will make the software program(s) work. You can also go into the Windows registry after you completely uninstall the game and delete any keys left behind from the un-installation. Make sure you also delete any folders left behind from the game. Some times when you un-install some programs folders and registry keys are left behind.

If all else fails the only thing is to start all over again from scratch. We've all been through it. icon_confused.gif Before you bite the bullet and start from scratch try cleaning the registry out, it has worked for me 90-95% of the time when I run into problems like that. BTW...make sure you don't delete the wrong key from the registry otherwise you can completely kill your OS, back-up the registry 1st before doing anything. After all folders and Reg. keys have been deleted restart the computer and try re-installing the game. icon_cool.gif Good Luck!!!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Yeah, i agree. I have 2 partitions on my computer. One is my main, and the other is for backup stuff. (mp3's, pics, documents and other various stuff. Like program install EXE's I/E winzip) I do a format about once every 3 months.. Cleans everything up and everything runs fine. Just takes a bit of time outta my day.. Matter fact this weekend i have to do the same thing. If you have it setup good you dont have to do any back ups. I keep my outlook pst on that drive so I dont have to back up emails. All I do is export my favorites from IE and then format the whole thing. Just make sure you get a copy of all your saved games from your favorite games, or you will be kicking yourself in the butt..
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Yeah...I figured on a format and reinstall. icon_cry.gif
    It's simple, but time consuming and annoying at the same time. By the way, is there a way to backup installed programs? I don't save the install.exe's from any I download. I'm saving the registry now and trying that.
    Yeah...I figured on a format and reinstall. icon_cry.gif
    It's simple, but time consuming and annoying at the same time. By the way, is there a way to backup installed programs? I don't save the install.exe's from any I download. I'm saving the registry now and trying that.
    Well, I tried that to no avail. I searched the entire registry using both "Warcraft" and "War3" and removed every result. I find nothing left on the pc under either name, using any search function. Looks like it's time to format...bah.
    Why bother saving reg? Just do a clean format.. and try that.. and if you happened to install new hardware since then try removing it (if possible)
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No sense keeping your registry if you are doing a clean install - All you do is risk importing a screwed registry into your nice new system.

Besides, to run programs you will need all the relevant files out of the root folders besides the registry entries and prog file entries.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    I backed up the registry before I edited it, that way if I screwed it up, I would still have a functioning pc without having to format and reinstall.
    ahh... like i said before, best bet is a full format and reinstall