Options

A little worried

stompystompy Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, just found this site today and I think this is exactly what I need to get me going.

I'm starting off on my cert training and I'm a little worried. I'm going to do most if not all of it by myself and not through any school classes. How long can/does it take to go through the exams to become mcse?

I'm sure the span can be quite long. So saying this, if I'm just starting now, is there a chance that I will not be able to finish mcse in the current Microsoft products as Vista is out and Server 07 I'm sure will be out as well. So, if I can't finish my MCSE before they start changing everything over to the new OS's, will I have to start over again in the future?

Comments

• Options
    dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Stompy, we all get a little nervous when we first start studying for certs. I am in the middle of obtaining MCSE status myself. I never thought I would get as far as I have but now I only need two more certs to become an MCSE.

As for how long i can take to become a MCSE. It varies but I would say it could take you anywhere's from 1-2 years. I took a network administrator course at a college but the last few exams I have learned all the information myself. I would recommend getting the Microsoft Press Self Training books to study for the certs.

You won't have to start over again if you complete your MCSE for Server 2003. Microsoft will offer an upgrade exam so you will only have to take one exam to upgrade to Sever 2007. They already have this for people who want to upgrade from 2000 to 2003.

Hope that helps and good luck!!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    People can still take the Windows 2000 exams, so you should have time to get through the 2003 exams.

It is hard to say how long it will take you to get through the exams. It depends on how much experience you have, how much studying you can do per day, how motivated you are, etc. Some people can take an exam every couple of weeks, some take months between exams.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dabve3 wrote:
    You won't have to start over again if you complete your MCSE for Server 2003. Microsoft will offer an upgrade exam so you will only have to take one exam to upgrade to Sever 2007. They already have this for people who want to upgrade from 2000 to 2003.

It takes two exams to upgrade from MCSE 2000 to MCSE 2003.

With the way MS is reworking the certs, is there going to be an MCSE for Longhorn?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    My optimistic goal is 1 year but I could see it stretch longer. I'm dedicating 1 hr / night currently plus a bit more time on the weekends. And, also some time at work too when I get a chance.

I'm not new to the IT field at all, and have been in and around desktop tech support since 97, but just recently I switched careers from Electronics type work to IT. I was really lucky to get a good IT job with no certs, but for me to advance further in the company, its required.
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Welcome Stompy. Starting out can definitely be unnerving. I got my A+ in 1996, but put off any other certifications until September/October 2006 when I passed the Server 2003 and Windows XP exams, as well as the Network+ exam this month.

It's the first test that is going to seem the worst. I went through a fair amount of stress just thinking about taking the Server 2003 exam (my 1st exam since the A+). I really had to hold my feet to the fire to follow through. Now, preparing for the Network Infrastructure exam, I know it is going to actually be a harder exam than server, but, luckily, I worked out the jitters 3 tests ago and now I can just focus on the material instead of the fear of taking the test itself. I know now that if I blow that test, it's only because I didn't study hard enough.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    deneb829 wrote:
    It's the first test that is going to seem the worst.

Its why I chose XP Pro for my first test. Since I've been around it the most, I have the most experience with it hopefully making it more easier than the rest. And I'm hoping that I all ready will know a lot of the networking theory as I've had training in the past through tech school and former jobs.

By the way, I have a Sybex book, and was thinking of getting the series.. but a friend told me these books were not that great and I should reconsider. What do you think?
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349

Its why I chose XP Pro for my first test. Since I've been around it the most, I have the most experience with it hopefully making it more easier than the rest.

Welcome Stompy..... Take it one step at a time, You'll get there eventually.

Do not take XP exam lightly, in my opinion it's one of the harder ones.....i'd recommend you start of with A+ and Net+ before moving on the MS certs.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    stompy wrote:
    I have a Sybex book, and was thinking of getting the series.. but a friend told me these books were not that great and I should reconsider. What do you think?

I don't know for sure about Sybex. I am currently studying for my Network Infrastructure exam and am using the Sybex book. From what I hear about this exam, I can tell that this book won't be enough, but I can't say if it is completely worthless.

As a college instructor (adjunct), publishers send me examination copies of textbooks all the time - so far, I am not overly impressed with any of them. The best book for exam prep that I have used so far is the Exam Cram series, but beware they are for exam prep - not for starting out study on new materials.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.