Net BSD

mastercormmastercorm Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering what anyone knows about Net BSD. I'm thinking of installing it and learning how to use it and wanted some feedback.
Working towards MCSE w/Security, then CCNA, then CCSP, and, eventually CISSP

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I played around with it a long time ago but don't know much about it other than the fact the someone installed it on a Toaster.

http://www.embeddedarm.com/news/netbsd_toaster.htm
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    I am a fan of FreeBSD. It is widely deployed, has a solid community behind it, and is even the basis for Mac OSX

What are you looking to do with it?
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    deneb829 wrote:
    I am a fan of FreeBSD.

I wanted to like it, but it took me a month of weekends to configure X and get a mouse working. icon_redface.gif

That was back on 4.something. I haven't tried it since.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    deneb829 wrote:
    I am a fan of FreeBSD.

I wanted to like it, but it took me a month of weekends to configure X and get a mouse working. icon_redface.gif

icon_lol.gif IMAO I believe that if you want to use X (KDE, GNOME, etc), forget BSD and use some flavor of Linux - that is why I was asking him what he wants to use it for. I've setup a dozen web, email, etc servers using FreeBSD, never once I have ever installed X. It's not one of those "I am too cool for a GUI", it's just that I managed these servers remotely from SSH.

This is the week that I am switching from command-line FreeBSD to Fedora in my UNIX class. I have been disappointed with the students comprehension of UNIX from a command line and only covered about half of what I was hoping to cover. Now, I will lose at least half of them once Fedora gets installed because of all the pretty colors icon_cyclops_ani.gif , but dollars to donuts if any of them end up in a sysadmin role, they're going to call me. The little $#@%!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • mastercormmastercorm Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure what I want to use if for...but I have a friend who raves about it, and figured it'd be great to learn to have on a resume.
    mastercorm wrote:
    I'm not sure what I want to use if for...but I have a friend who raves about it, and figured it'd be great to learn to have on a resume.

Hmmm, I have a friend who raves about having her legs waxed. If you don't intend to setup a server, I'd say skip it altogether and play with Fedora or Ubuntu Linux. For a first time BSD'er, the only thing that I would recommend BSD for is a web/email server and FreeBSD at that (more support). If you have an old system laying around and a Cable/DSL line you can use a dynamic DNS service and just serve up some pages for fun. If it doesn't sound like fun (which it does sound like fun to me) I'd really suggest not bothering at all. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    try PC-BSD, it is much user friendly (not friendly as Ubuntu).
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are genuinely interested, then cool. If you are looking for a resume builder, I don't see much value in spending time on Net BSD.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • mastercormmastercorm Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ok, cool. good advice. yeah, i got no need to setup a server at my home and i don't have a spare pc anyway. plus i don't have the money to get one. but he has a whole ton of servers in his basement...you'd think you were at IBM or something, the ammount of stuff he has in there. I guess that's why he likes it so much.