Other certs

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
Okay right now at school i'm heading down the CCNP track - 4 CCNA classes and then 4 CCNP. So thats a big part of my studying. But, what else should i be looking into to expand my "pallet" so to say of skills? Its probably going to be hard for me to get a job in this field after college, so i'd like to learn as much as i can. I'm currently planning to take an A+ class this summer and then there is a 2nd one that i'll take in the fall. I'm pretty sure i'm going to take a server 2003 class this summer as well...

thanks.
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I'd look into getting a few Microsoft certs as well. We all know Windows is a dominating player in the IT world, so it never hurts to know your Windows stuff.
    Dustin Leefers
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would check out Microsoft certs as stated above but don't forget about Unix/Linux. I was able to get my first IT job as and IT Support Tech. in a very tight job market because of my basic knowledge of Linux and I was Linux+ certified. Of course the most important thing is to work on what interests you the most. Good luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    Okay right now at school i'm heading down the CCNP track - 4 CCNA classes and then 4 CCNP. So thats a big part of my studying. But, what else should i be looking into to expand my "pallet" so to say of skills? Its probably going to be hard for me to get a job in this field after college, so i'd like to learn as much as i can. I'm currently planning to take an A+ class this summer and then there is a 2nd one that i'll take in the fall. I'm pretty sure i'm going to take a server 2003 class this summer as well...

thanks.

Get an internship / externship as part of the program. Something that give you actual experience with what you are learning.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    Its probably going to be hard for me to get a job in this field after college.
    Don't wait until after college. Number one, numero uno mistake that almost everyone makes. Get an IT job now. Part time, apprenticeship, internship, volunteer, install cable modems for your local ISP, just do SOMETHING.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    Don't wait until after college. Number one, numero uno mistake that almost everyone makes. Get an IT job now. Part time, apprenticeship, internship, volunteer, install cable modems for your local ISP, just do SOMETHING.

What blargoe said.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    oh no doubt i'm keeping an eye on the papers/monster and IT jobs get posted every once in a while on the networking departments website.

I'm not sure how to go about getting a job as an intern or apparentice though...

tis especially hard cause i already work full time on top of school. but i suppose two or three times a week wouldn't be bad.

there isn't a huge IT market in my area. i suspect atlanta may be better, maybe even columbia but i for sure can't afford to move on my own.

What kind of school are you going to? A lot of them will have a department that will help you setup an internship.
    Andy

• deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    icroyal wrote:

I agree with this - even a little experience is better than none!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    blargoe wrote:
    Darthn3ss wrote:

Definately agree with Blargoe on this one. Even if you are only earning pocket money. Just don't let the company drag too many hours out of you or try to hire you away until your studies are concluded. It would be cheaper for them to get you before and give you a bigger salary hill to climb afterward.
    Kam.
    Okay so i'm thinking about shooting for a MSCA in Server 2003, but i'm wondering if i'll be okay with the microsoft virtual OS thing vs paying for server 2003 and building a machine for it vs pirating it and building a machine for it? (well, i know the ultimate best choice is going to be getting a copy of it, but thats a little on the expensive side)

I'm going to look into linux certs too. I'm going to try Network+ this summer and later this year A+.

a 180 day trial is available for free: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/evaluate/trial/default.mspx

For studying I have used both virtual servers and real servers. Make sure the machine that is going to host the virtual servers has enough CPU, memory, and hard drive space.

Here are some preconfigured VHDs: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/try/vhd/default.mspx
    Andy

wow thanks for the link, i didn't know they offered a trial like that.

I'm safe installing server 2003 on a machine that already has XP on right? it'd be on a seperate drive.

• drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    wow thanks for the link, i didn't know they offered a trial like that.

Back in the day, MS would actually send you copies on diskette (and later CD) of their software via the postal mail, just for asking (this was at the beginning of the Internet explosion, circa 1994, prior to broadband). They've been doing it for years...
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
    neat. i would think now days thats just making it easy for someone to crack it and redistribute, but maybe not..

btw.. i was in diapers a few years before '94..

• drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    neat. i would think now days thats just making it easy for someone to crack it and redistribute, but maybe not..

They used to have cracks for them, but now I'm not sure...I've gotten away from that sort of thing...

...you can always to try find the bit torrent for the win! icon_twisted.gif
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:

btw.. i was in diapers a few years before '94..

Why would you want to crack it anyway? The 6 month trial is long enough for studying. Once it expires you can install it again and reconfigure the OS which is good for experience. I am sure it is possible to crack the OS but MS comes out with patches every month so if you want updates it probably won't work.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    sthomas wrote:
    Why would you want to crack it anyway? The 6 month trial is long enough for studying. Once it expires you can install it again and reconfigure the OS which is good for experience.
    icon_thumright.gif
    well i didn't say i intended to crack it (and if i was to i wouldn't mention that here because some forums tend to think any sort of mentioning of something that may be considered unlawful will get them sued and sent to federal prison for life), i just said it seemed like microsoft was making it easy.

edit: I'm about to go look but is there also a trial of exchange server?

• deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292

Back in the day, MS would actually send you copies on diskette (and later CD) of their software via the postal mail, just for asking (this was at the beginning of the Internet explosion, circa 1994, prior to broadband). They've been doing it for years...

180 day copies are included with most Thompson textbooks as well as other publishers. Strangely, Server 2003 requires you to activate it before 14 days is up or you can't use it. That's a pain in class when you don't want to give students internet access right away ... you can still myspace on server 2003.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    But, what else should i be looking into to expand my "pallet" so to say of skills?

Summer job position definitely. Gives you a more serious look when looking for a job after graduating and invaluable hands-on experience. Imho, of course.