Motivation

mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
I just got an Associates Degree in Network Security and Computer Forensics in Oct of 06. I been working a Help Desk position for almost a year now. I know Help Desk is not something I want to do the rest of my life, although I do enjoy it. It's a great opportunity to learn and gain experience. However, sometimes I feel like Help Desk is what I'll be doing forever. There are so many different paths to take in the IT field. I'm really interested in security side of things, but still, there's several ways to go. I just find it hard to stay motivated and choose which way I want to go. I love to learn new things and I'm always finding something new to learn. I can't stay focused on one subject...maybe I have adult ADD, that's the cool thing to have these days.

What do you guys use as motiviation and how do you stay focused? I really like my job, but I definitely want to get deeper in with security. I just find myself being interested in too many things at once, then my interests change to another aspect. There's so many things I want to learn, I just don't know where to start.
Working on Linux+

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel you, I really do. There's so many things I want to learn right now that I just don't have time for. I want to do my CCNA and CCNP (I definitely do not have time for these), Exchange 2007, MCSE:M, complete my MCSE:S, Vbscript, Powershell, learn more about Storage Architecture, and so much more. And Longhorn will be coming out soon! On top of this, since I work a lot with all of this stuff already, it's hard for me to find time to study anymore and when I get home, I often need to let the brain relax. I've been studying hardcore for the last 7-8 months (the company let me spend a lot of company time studying but now I'm mostly at clients) so I'm doing my 70-536 slow and giving my brain a bit of a relaxer. As for motivation, you have to find something that works for you. Perhaps get yourself into the habit of studying 1 hour and then taking a 15 minute break and then going at it again? I'm no motivational speaker though, so I won't have much help in this department. I just wanted to chime in on my experience mostly as well. Good luck.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Time not spent studying is a time wasted. Studying implies resting inbetween study sessions too, of course :)

Social life is over rated <tm>

I kind of self motivate. Maybe for a bit of ADD compensation. And of course for sense of accomplishment.

Also I don't look at various certs as goals, just "a milestone" to look back at.

Certs give you credibility and make a great resume candy (usually just a leverage to get a foot in the door).

Certs also give you motivation to be worthy of them and to maintain skill level.

Focusing on one task/problem/solution is hard for me. I'm kind of multi-threading type. I wouldn't say that it is very bad, but lately I feel this issue sets me back in my studying.

My current studying habits for working days are reading while commuting, some hands-on at work and recess at home. For weekend I tend to review what I have read during the week.

What works for me are short ~1h long study sessions. Then some rest, a walk outside or riding a bicycle.

Btw, how long does it take for you to prepare for next exam? Two cases: with and without experience in problem domain.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel very much the same way, only I don't think it's ADD. :p

I use to go sit in a coffee shop at a local books-a-million and study from sun-up to sun-down. Now I don't feel like doing anything and I really want a new job...but I don't have much enthusiasm to mess with my resume or fill-out long job applications. I get tired after two minutes and read a book.

I guess life isn't suppose to be easy.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    What do you guys use as motiviation and how do you stay focused?

That white 06' M3 that I keep debating on whether to buy. I want to do it but then I don't want the payment. I have a 3 series couple like this but not the M power engine..A nice raise would persuade me to make the purchase.

P1010094-3.jpg
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    garv221 wrote:
    mrhaun03 wrote:

That white 06' M3 that I keep debating on whether to buy. I want to do it but then I don't want the payment. I have a 3 series couple like this but not the M power engine..A nice raise would persuade me to make the purchase.

P1010094-3.jpg

Money talks :D

It could make me do a lot of things I wouldn't normally.
    Working on Linux+
    mrhaun03 wrote:

Yeah buddy. I was at the bimmer dealer getting a part and asked to go for a test drive. I thought my car was fast enough; but hitting corners in an M3 made me think "hmmmmmmm I need to finish my CISSP and jump onto CCIE."
    garv221 wrote:
    mrhaun03 wrote:

Yeah buddy. I was at the bimmer dealer getting a part and asked to go for a test drive. I thought my car was fast enough; but hitting corners in an M3 made me think "hmmmmmmm I need to finish my CISSP and jump onto CCIE."

Hell yea! Don't even get the CCNA or CCNP...just go straight for the CCIE. I heard it's one of the easiest.
    Working on Linux+
    Nice JD :D

mrhaun03 wrote:
    Hell yea! Don't even get the CCNA or CCNP...just go straight for the CCIE. I heard it's one of the easiest.

wtf? So my experience of engineering, purchasing, setting up and then maintaining thousands of users in an all Cisco environment doesn't count unless I have CCNA or CCNP? How does that work?
    garv221 wrote:

mrhaun03 wrote:

wtf? So my experience of engineering, purchasing, setting up and then maintaining thousands of users in an all Cisco environment doesn't count unless I have CCNA or CCNP? How does that work?

By some clever marketing twists and turns :)

Just call HR and find out that you're worth nothing :D
  • drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    mrhaun03 wrote:

I thought this post was very interesting. Motivation comes from within inside - usually through external forces. For example, you'll suddenly be movitated to remove your hand from a hot stove...

Most people work this way. There are few who have figured out to motivate themselves. If you want to try and motivate yourself, follow these instructions:

(1) Find a nice quiet spot, where you won't be bothered (no phones, no friends/family, etc.)
    (2) Get a piece of paper and a pen
    (3) Make a line down the middle of the paper
    (4) On the left side label the top "What if I don't do this?"
    (5) On the right side label the top "What if I do actually do this?"
    (6) Think about the outcomes of taking actions...or not taking action...write them down in the appropriate column
    (7) Come up with as many as you can...the more the better...
    (icon_cool.gif Reflect and analyze

No answer is wrong or silly or stupid. This will create motivation because it uses two very simple psychological aspects - pain and pleasure. People throughout history have used pain and pleasure to motivate themselves. Most people are motivated by pain. The pain of not doing something becomes so great, they eventually do it. I'm sure you've seen it in your own life a number of times...I know of people who are overweight...eventually they can't take it more and finally get off the couch and exercise and eat right. Few people are motivated by pleasure - like going for a raise at work, they will put in the extra hours.

My point is that you can motivate yourself if you try the above technique. It has worked for millions of people throughout history...it is simple psychology...if you can make it "real" enough to you by feeling the pain or feeling the pleasure of something, you'll do it.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
    I thought this post was very interesting. Motivation comes from within inside - usually through external forces. For example, you'll suddenly be movitated to remove your hand from a hot stove...

So you're saying if I burn myself I'll be motivated? I'm startin a fire now... icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, that's an interesting technique you described. Might have to give it a try.

It's not so much as I can't find motivation...but the fact that I can't stay focused to learn one thing. There's a lot I want to learn and I don't know where to start. I'll start reading about one thing then find something else i'm interested in and forget about it. That's the unmotivating part...tryin to learn everything and I'm learning nothing...makes me feel like I'll be Help Desk forever.
    Working on Linux+
    Inc wrote:
    garv221 wrote:

mrhaun03 wrote:

By some clever marketing twists and turns :)

Just call HR and find out that you're worth nothing :D

I was being facetious; a call to my accounting dept will verify my hefty salary. icon_thumright.gif
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like to think of life as a video game. The more hours you put into the game the better your character gets. Because I think like this, it makes this whole certification track fun. I can study, learn, get paid more, and do more things. So I'm kinda having a blast just picking up books and figuring stuff out.

Life can be played just like a game so have fun with it.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    garv221 wrote:
    I was being facetious; a call to my accounting dept will verify my hefty salary.

Same here :D
    Mishra wrote:
    I like to think of life as a video game. The more hours you put into the game the better your character gets. Because I think like this, it makes this whole certification track fun. I can study, learn, get paid more, and do more things. So I'm kinda having a blast just picking up books and figuring stuff out.

Life can be played just like a game so have fun with it.

From such perspective I wish life could be more EVE'ish than WOW'ish.