Options

Question Help - PrepLogic

georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
Can someone please explain to me why the correct answer is C and not A. I was of the understanding that Windows 2000 Pro was capable of doing its own dynamic updates. The PrepLogic answer key says the correct answer is C. This one confuses me. icon_confused.gif

Why_CnotA.jpg

I'm using the MS Press 2nd. Ed. and the Syngress books for reference/study. Can't find anything in them that points to C instead of A.

Thanks in advance for your insight..

Georgemc :)
WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
Start Date: 01 October 2012
QFT1,PFIT in progress.
TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is just off the top of my head - hopefully it's close to correct. I think the key here is the 2003 DNS server is using "default settings" which might mean it accepts only secure updates or that you have to check an additional selection box to accept dynamic updates.

I'll check and make sure though, unless icroyal or bighornsheep beat me to it.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bad question. Clients use the DHCP service to dynamically register their A records with DNS server while DHCP will dynamically register the client's PTR record. You can force DHCP Server to dynamically register both. I believe you can also configure group policy to force clients to dynamically register their own A and PTR records.

Yep Mark, the default is secure only. The DHCP server should still be allowed to dynamically update the client's records as long as the DHCP server is a part of that domain. I'm not sure how this would work if you were on a different domain if there is a trust going across domains since there is Kerberos cross-realm authentication. Regardless, 2k clients should still register their own A records by default. But since the question doesn't specify if it's A records or PTR records, the question is too vague for a definitive answer.

If anybody knows any more information, that would be great! I would love to see what you find Mark. I'll do some information searching later on as well.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Thanks for the quick response. :D
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just noticed something else. It doesn't even say it's an AD DNS server. It says it's just a plain old DNS server which means that Dynamic Update security would be set to None. This means that the DHCP should have zero problems updating DNS with records. I honestly think the question is just too vague. You need to know if it's an A or PTR record.

Quite honestly, you'd never see such a vague question on a Microsoft exam.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks