Passed Linux + today

kypumperkypumper Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed with a 745 not so great, but still it is a pass. a few things surprised me on the exam it asked a couple questions about the use of tripwire syntax. I had never used that program before. I am going to go ahead and study for the LPI now.
I used a train signal video and a book Linu + 2005 study guide.
I love the Search Function!

Comments

• seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cool.. You have every certification that I want other than the MCSE 2003.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Gennosuke HIGAKIGennosuke HIGAKI Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done, congrats!
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Congrats!

Trip wire is an intrusion detection system. It's pretty easy to set up and lets you know if any of your system files have been modified.

Most of my *nix experience has been FreeBSD, Solaris, and Irix. I did some of the practice questions for the Linux+ and was disappointed in how many of the questions were about file locations - which tend to be different in Linux compared to the Unixes. The functionality is pretty much the same and I am sure that I got the Linux/Unix based questions correct on the Network+.

If you are familiar with any of the other Unixes, what are your feelings about the Linux+? Will there be a ton of new study or will it be about learning the differences, but a familiarity with Unix will help with the Linux+? I am asking because while my employer will pay for all of my MCSA/MCSE related exams on a pass, I may have to pay for this one myself.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job! icon_thumright.gif
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    kypumper wrote:
    I passed with a 745 not so great, but still it is a pass. a few things surprised me on the exam it asked a couple questions about the use of tripwire syntax. I had never used that program before. I am going to go ahead and study for the LPI now.
    I used a train signal video and a book Linu + 2005 study guide.

Congrats on the pass!

Linux+ is my next goal. How long did it take you to study for and feel comfortable to take the exam? I have minimal Linux experience, but I just installed CentOS and I'm gonna hit the books hard.
    Working on Linux+
  • kypumperkypumper Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took a class at a local college that was 6 credit hours it covered Unix administration
    that was my first experience with UNIX. that was Jan 2006. after the class I setup Linux and BSD on virtual servers to play with them. I put Fedora on an actual machine and
    just read the book. The test is geared toward Fedora Core 5 even though it says it is OS neutral.
    I love the Search Function!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass, and good luck on the LPI exams. Just keep in mind, while Linux+ talks about 'the basic three': Fedora (RPM-based), Debian (distros using the Debian installer), and Slackware (distros using no installer, only source). The LPI exams are much, much heavier on the differences between these types of distros, as well as the differences in the basic systems, like knowing the difference between BSD and System V Unix, so you can tell which variation different flavors of Linux are based on. Your Linux+ experience will serve you well, and I wish you the best of luck.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • djmayadjmaya Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good job.
    Jedi never stop training......
  • JR-13JR-13 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! A 745 isn't anything to be disappointed about! I'm hopeful I'll get near what you did when I take my Linux+ test.