Network Monitoring

p0etp0et Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if any of you have heard of a network monitoring system called "Sysgate" (or something that sounds like it). I don't think it's "sygate firewall". I had an interview and they said my job would be to manage the "sysgate monitoring system" where several network devices such as Cisco routers, sun systems, Linux and Win2k3 servers email "sysgate" logs so I can keep the network devices up and running smoothly.

Thanks!

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    What sort of job were you applying for? Did the give you the job or they were mentioning what the job, should you be selected, requires??

Also, good point here is make sure you do your research on the company BEFORE the interview so that when they hit you with things like this...you are at least familiar with their technologies.

Anyway, to answer your question, I haven't heard of that one specifically, but there are many out there.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You could potentially contact them and ask them. I know it may sound a little risky, but explain to them that you have experience with network monitoring and you've never heard of "Sysgate", and ask them to explain. Either it's a typo, or maybe it's a proprietary system. Either way, taking the initiative and getting the info probably isn't a bad idea. If you look at it from both sides, you'll either figure out what it is and be better prepared for the job, or you won't get the job which you probably couldn't do anyway because you had no clue on how to use their tools.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • p0etp0et Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I didn't read "sysgate". That's just what it sounded like when they described it over the phone to me on the telephone interview. It very well could be another technology that sounds similar, but not sure. I asked them to repeat it, and that's what it sounded like. Odd though, since I can't find anything on google about it.

I'll let ya know if I find out what this actually is.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It might just be the name of their syslog server. You'd be surprised how often folks get used to the internal name of something and forget that it doesn't mean anything to someone outside their circle.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    p0et wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I didn't read "sysgate". That's just what it sounded like when they described it over the phone to me on the telephone interview. It very well could be another technology that sounds similar, but not sure. I asked them to repeat it, and that's what it sounded like. Odd though, since I can't find anything on google about it.

I'll let ya know if I find out what this actually is.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    It might just be the name of their syslog server. You'd be surprised how often folks get used to the internal name of something and forget that it doesn't mean anything to someone outside their circle.

Which is a good reason (IMNSHO) to not be afraid to ask for clarification. As a new applicant and potential team member it shows you are listening and willing to ask for clarification when something sounds unclear. Particularly if it's internal jargon....if you know there internal jargon before you begin working with them they may be a little leery of you. However, if you ask about it at the time you first hear it...this may be in your favor as someone willing to 'play' on the team sort of speak.

Grant it, there maybe a fine line between asking to many obvious questions and asking appropriate questions when starting a new career path, but with practice...you'll find that balance.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • dan_9141dan_9141 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven't used it but I believe that sygate is a Symantec product

Hope this helps
  • p0etp0et Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a look at Symentec but I don't think their Sygate product is the same as this one that I'm wondering about. All i know is that it sounds like "sysgate" and it's strictly an Email based network & security monitoring tool. It may be just their internal name for a systems logger. Hopefully i'll find out soon. icon_confused.gif