To start or not to start?

ShayeShaye Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I was thinking about signing up for a MCSA+MCSE 2003 course, but then I noticed the rumors about it being out-of-date or something.

Now basically I do not have any previous experience with any of the 'servers' so for me it doesn't really matter, I start from scratch.

Now, what should I do? sign up for a "longhorn" certificate course (if there is one at all?), or what... All I know is that I want to get into that networking field, I'm 19 years old and a few months.

Your advise please!

thanks

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a tough decision for you to make. There is no "best" path to take. To me, you have a few choices:

1. Take A+ and Network+ (I recommend this to EVERYONE) and learn fundamentals on how computing works, systems work, Windows troubleshooting, hardware troubleshooting, form factors, what the inside of the computer actually does, network topologies, tcp/ip, ipx/spx, fiber optics, etc....

2. Go for your MCSE in Server 2003. Even when Server 2007/2008 comes out, there will still be tons of Server 2003 and even 2000 Server implementations out there. If you complete your Server 2003, you will be able to upgrade to the MCITP (Microsoft Certified Information Technology Profession) in Server 2007/2008. No solid information has been disclosed about what is to come with the Server 2007/2008 Certification. All we know is that it will be called the MCITP and will be the equivalent of an MCSE. One big differences is that with the current certifications, you become MCSE and then you go get specializations. With the MCITP you get specialized in certain technologies, and a group of those specializations will grant you the MCITP status. I'm sure that the second information becomes readily available regarding the new MCITP for the new server edition, it will be posted on these forums.

3. You can wait for the MCITP for Server 2007/2008. Keep in mind that if you do this, you will be losing some knowledge about differences between 2003 and 2007/2008. The thing is, even with this mindset, there's always a starting point for someone and you can never go back and learn everything about the past.

So again, it is up to you. Server 2003 certifications will still be valid for many years to come. Heck, you can even still get your MCSE in 2000 Sometimes I wish I went back and did my MCSE in 2000 and just upgraded it to 2003. Unfortunately, my job wanted me to just go ahead and do my MCSE in 2003. . And as an FYI, Microsoft always gives 1 year notice before they stop an exam.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • ShayeShaye Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks alot for your time icroyal, I really appreciate it.

I will go ahead and say that I would rather wait for the new certification to come out, don't ask me why becuase I'm not sure either.
    So basically, when those new certifications are coming out there is gonna be MCITP ("Equals" to MCSE?) and MCTS ("Equals" to MCSA?)? or I didn't get it right.
    And we're talking about a few months of waiting or even more than that?

I can't think of anything else at the moment (am probably too tired), but I am sure I will have more things to ask that are on my mind so I will continue this thread.

Thank you very much icon_cool.gif
    Yes, the MCITP will be equal to MCSE. There will be no equivalent to MCSA. Think of it more as a bunch of MCP certs = MCSE now. There's no intermediate certification. Since you have a few months to wait, I HIGHLY advise you to focus on your A+ and Network+ certification. Heck, even if you were going to start your Server 2003 certs, I would still advise you to do your A+ and Network+ first. But since you have a few months to kill, there's no reason for you to not do the A+ and Network+ first.
  • ShayeShaye Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the A and Network +, you think I should be taking courses or self-studying is an option too? how "hard" are these two in your opinion?
    That I couldn't tell you. I haven't done my A+ or Network+ for several years. On top of that, there are many factors. How good are you with computers? How well do you learn with computer stuff. Do you need that teacher to help you out? Do you have the hardware/components to learn on your own? With A+, a lot of it is working with hardware. With Microsoft stuff, it's much easier. All you need is your own machine (I recommend at least 2GB of memory for VMs) and Virtual Machines running evaluation copies of Server and Client OS'. Many people say the A+ and Network+ is pretty easy, but to be completely honest, I don't remember the exams too well to give you my honest opinion. I would ask in the General Certification forum on people's opinions on what method you should take to get A+ and Network+ under your belt. Good luck and let us know how your certifications progress int he future.
  • cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icroyal wrote:
    Yes, the MCITP will be equal to MCSE. There will be no equivalent to MCSA. Think of it more as a bunch of MCP certs = MCSE now.

Wow that stinks, although I'm glad I went ahead and got my 293 started. I think MCSA is a great Cert, but I was MCSE bound anyways. icon_twisted.gif
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icroyal wrote:
    Yes, the MCITP will be equal to MCSE. There will be no equivalent to MCSA. Think of it more as a bunch of MCP certs = MCSE now. There's no intermediate certification.

I thought I read somewhere there WAS going to be an upgrade for MCSA 2003 also. The MCITP would have something like MCITP:Systems Engineer (maybe called something else) and MCITP:Systems Administrator. There is also an upgrade for MCDST to MCITP:Enterprise Support Technician in Windows Vista.

http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/

If you scroll down to Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:06 AM

MCSA, MCSE, and Windows Server "Longhorn" certifications, you will see that it says there will be an upgrade path for both MCSA and MCSE 2003.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    Thanks for that info Sthomas. I'm quite curious to hear the finalized upgrade and full certification paths.