Options

Transaction log questoin

cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a two part question.

1) When mail is first delivered to the exchange server it is first written to the transaction logs. When it's written to the transaction logs does the user receive it in their inbox, or do they receive it after it's written to the database?

2) When does the transaction logs write to the database? Every hour or so?

I know these are remedial questions, but I studied my butt off this weekend and might have absored too much info and forgot. icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    When Exchange writes to the transaction logs, end users should see those changes even though they haven't been written to the DB yet. Exchange treats physically writing out changes to the DB as low-priority.
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cool, when do the logs actually get written to the DB though?
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft docs say when "convenient." Basically, when Exchange isn't busy and has time to write it out to the database. Also, there are other times when data is written to database. For example, if you shut down a database, all outstanding log file data will be written to the database which puts the database into a consistent state.

Check out this doc which has lots of information on transaction logging:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d42ef860-170b-44fe-94c3-ec68e3b0e0ff.aspx
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks