Options

Wireless vs. Security

markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
I've recently decided to get back into the wonderful world of Cisco. I used to hold the CCNA, CCDA, and CCNP certs but they've long since expired. I've begun studying for my CCNA again and was wondering after that in which direction I would go. Back in the day I always had a fascination for security but never got into it. I thought this time around with the new Cisco security certs I could head in that direction.

But now I'm starting to wonder if for my career, and the future of technology in general, going in a wireless direction might be the better idea? I can see the need for security professionals never stopping, but with how fast wireless is growing do you think that might be a better route?

I have interest in both fields, just not sure in which direction I should head. Maybe some info from you guys could help me figure it out. Thanks.
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    There is no such thing as "wireless vs. security." Because wireless is inherently a less-secure medium than wire or fiber, security is always a primary concern with wireless technology. In other words, if you choose to study wireless networking, you will also be studying about physical, telecommunications, and data security. And because wireless technology will only grow in its use, many discussions concerning information security must consider the problems inherent in wireless technology too.

With regards to careers in wireless communications as it relates to technology from Cisco Systems, you'll be best to ask that question in the Cisco forums.
  • Options
    I made the same post in the Cisco CCSP forum to try and get a feel from people on both sides of the coin. Thanks for the help.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I deleted that other post, as like virtually all moderated forums, we don't allow 'cross-posting'. However, what I'll do is move this topic to the CCSP forums and leave a shadow copy here. It'll have the same benifit for you, but there'll be only one instance of the topic.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    I deleted that other post, as like virtually all moderated forums, we don't allow 'cross-posting'. However, what I'll do is move this topic to the CCSP forums and leave a shadow copy here. It'll have the same benifit for you, but there'll be only one instance of the topic.

Ok, sounds good. I wan't trying to add junk. Just was trying to get info from people in both sides of the field. I really don't know much about either side.