Wins and other question on 291

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
I wanted to know if wins is coverd on the exam as my exam cram book has wins, but ms press I don't think has wins info. Also in the second edition of ms press for this exam chapter 12 lesson four is devoted entirely to Wsus.

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wins is not on 70-291. You will see it in 70-293, however. Myself and several other coworkers did not see Wins on 70-291.

70-291 Objectives:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx

70-293 Objectives:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-293.mspx

Do a search for wins in each of those objectives. You will see Wins is not found on the 70-291 but is rather found on the 70-293.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • giterrellgiterrell Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    like icroyal said, there is no wins on this exam. i would make sure you know WSUS inside and out, it seems to come up almost as often as DNS if not more.
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    You know what? I hope I am not really breaking the NDA here, but I took 291 twice and I am pretty sure I DID have DNS/WINS type questions on both of mine. Also, freaking 293 has WAY too much WINS/legacy crap on it if you ask me.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • giterrellgiterrell Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i took it twice as well (in the past month) and didnt have a single question on WINS either time. I was just saying there was an enormous amount of WSUS on this test, everyone knows there are DNS questions on this test. study WINS if you want man, you'll be wasting your time.
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It seems like everyone is saying that there is a load of Wsus questions on this test. I have a lab setup with three servers and am getting close to feeling like I can take the test. I saved subnetting till the last and it won't be that much longer until I have a grasp on that, but I was wondering what kind of labs I should do for wsus.

Any suggestions?
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From what I've heard, you need to know what options are available and where you configure them. If you have three servers running an AD domain, I would put it on one of the member servers. Configure the group policies to point the Domain Controller and second member server to update server. You may want to throw a few XP clients in there if you have the computers as well.

Play around with it and setup different scenarios. You may want to install it, configure it, and reinstall and reconfigure it once again. Do it a few times and you'll have the steps and options set in your head.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does anyone know what version of WSUS the test covers?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Mishra wrote:
    Does anyone know what version of WSUS the test covers?

I'm pretty sure it will just be v2.0.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I didn't see WINS on my exam, either. And, by the sounds of it, you're not very likely to come up against very many questions. As for WSUS, I'm pretty sure they're probably trying to push in the newest version into the test, (even though I had SUS on my test, and that was only last year, when the first edition of WSUS was released). Probably best to learn what's current, compare that with what's in the second edition of the MS Press book.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote:
    I didn't see WINS on my exam, either. And, by the sounds of it, you're not very likely to come up against very many questions. As for WSUS, I'm pretty sure they're probably trying to push in the newest version into the test, (even though I had SUS on my test, and that was only last year, when the first edition of WSUS was released). Probably best to learn what's current, compare that with what's in the second edition of the MS Press book.

From the little I've seen from 3.0, it's a completely different interface. That will make it quite the pain in the ass. Curse you Microsoft!