Is this like the CCIE of Security?

markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
Ok, I know that the CCIE has it's own security certification, but in regards to the security field in general, would this test be considered at the level that the CCIE would be in the Cisco world? From what I've read this thing seems pretty damn intensive. I have no experience in security...in other words I have no clue what this thing is about. icon_lol.gif

I don't even know what Infosec is. icon_redface.gif
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    markzab wrote:
    I don't even know what Infosec is. icon_redface.gif
    Based on your current knowledge of information security, you are in the first day of the 1st grade of school. In comparison, the CISSP is the Ph.D. of Information Security. I would really suggest that you have a look at books and information for the CompTIA Security+ certification and decide if information security is the sort of thing that you wish to peruse. I recommend that all IT people have some knowledge of information security, and the Security+ certification is a good way to learn. The easy way to begin is to start reading through the Security+ Technotes here at TechExams.net.
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Thanks JD. :)
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    The CISSP is the premier certification for Information Security. It tests you on a wide range of topics, commonly known as the CBK. The CBK consists of 10 very distinct aspects of InfoSec. Once you have the required 4 years of direct documented experience in Information Security, they will let you sit for the exam. The exam is a 250 question, multiple choice exam which lasts for 6 hours. It is proctored and you have to wait about 2 weeks to get your results.

It was the most intense certification exam I ever took.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    The CISSP is the premier certification for Information Security. It tests you on a wide range of topics, commonly known as the CBK. The CBK consists of 10 very distinct aspects of InfoSec. Once you have the required 4 years of direct documented experience in Information Security, they will let you sit for the exam. The exam is a 250 question, multiple choice exam which lasts for 6 hours. It is proctored and you have to wait about 2 weeks to get your results.

It was the most intense certification exam I ever took.

So then the answer is essentially yes, it is comparable to the level of a CCIE exam.

I read a couple posts and it seemed that way from some peoples comments on how hard this test was and how much they had to study for it. Is there a certain number of certified people out there? I would imagine not too many people have this cert?
    markzab wrote:
    I would imagine not too many people have this cert?
    As of this posting, 47,555 people worldwide have the CISSP certification. The member counts for all (ISC)2 certifications is at the (ISC)2 website.
  • drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    markzab wrote:
    So then the answer is essentially yes, it is comparable to the level of a CCIE exam.

I don't think I'd go that far. The CCIE is a Cisco exam, which consists of a practical test and a lab exam. The CISSP only consists of a practical exam and an experience requirement. The CISSP is also vendor-neutral, whereas the CCIE is focus entirely on Cisco technology. The CISSP is more concept driven and the CCIE is more technically focused. The CISSP focuses on information security, whereas CCIE focuses on internetworking architecture. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the CCIE is a more difficult exam to prepare for due to the lab requirement. Finally, both tests are the "premier" exams in their chosen fields, however.

Overall the exams are essentially not comparable in level. They test different aspects of information technology.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • DW [banned]DW [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 240
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Disclaimer: Opinions expressed by Darby are personal opinions and in no way reflect the official opinion of the Cisco Forums. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Disclaimer: Opinions expressed by Darby are personal opinions and in no way reflect the official opinion of the Cisco Forums. icon_lol.gif

While Darby is not the "average" individual (I don't know anyone else who sits 5 exams in one day) he is correct that there is really no comparison. The CISSP is a highly respected certification and one of the tougher "written" exams, but it really can't compare with the rigors involved in the lab portion of the CCIE.

I think the only other certification that comes close is the RHCE, which has a very tough hands-on lab as well.

This does not diminish the accomplishment of anyone attaining the CISSP - it's still one of the top certs in the Infosec field.

Disclaimer - this is my own personal opinion. Any resemblance of this opinion to anyone else's opinion, whether living or dead, is purely coincidental.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I really don't think there is any real comparison between CISSP and CCIE.

As the name CISSP CBK implies, it tests you on the Common Body of Knowledge. I have the text sitting on my desk, while I wouldn't call it a piece of cake, it just mainly tests you on book knowledge and it is not particularly technical. I would say that anyone who is serious about passing the test can obtain it within 2 months or less. Good luck trying that with CCIE.
    Sepiraph wrote:
    I would say that anyone who is serious about passing the [CISSP] test can obtain it within 2 months or less. Good luck trying that with CCIE.
    Yeah, well, good luck with trying that with the CISSP too. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    Sepiraph wrote:
    I would say that anyone who is serious about passing the [CISSP] test can obtain it within 2 months or less. Good luck trying that with CCIE.
    Yeah, well, good luck with trying that with the CISSP too. icon_rolleyes.gif

I was going to say something, but since JD beat me to it, I'll just say I don't think I could even read the whole darn book in 2 months, let alone actually absorb the information.

Also, could you save the crayons for special emphasis, and not submit your entire post in another color? It's kind of like typing in all caps or bold. Simple forum etiquette. Thanks.
    All things are possible, only believe.