Passed!

georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
LOL...by the skin of my teeth.

This was probably the hardest exam I've ever taken. My score was 760.
Had to go back at the end and finish two of the sims. I was almost finished with both but couldn't remember where to go to complete that one last item. I just went through and tried every option until I found something that worked. Once I got a screen/window I recognized I was home free.

I did strongest in "Implement, Manage, and Maintain Name Resolution" and weakest in "Implement, manage, and Maintain Routing and Remote Access". I really thought I studied well for RRAS, oh well.

WSUS, RRAS, and DNS seemed to have been the hardest hit. I also wish I'd have brushed up on group policy a little.

My main weakness probably lies in the fact that I don't work with the technology on a regular basis. My main background is in routing and switching. I'm currently working in Boundary Protection (Firewalls, HBSS, IDS, IPS, etc.). Although I haven't got much hands on with them yet either...lol.

Study materials used included:

1. This web site/these forums.
2. MS-PRESS Exam 70-291 Self-Paced Training Kit, 2d Ed.
3. Lab set up as in above book.
4. Syngress MCSA/MCSE Exam 70-291 Study Guide (I didn't use the DVD)
5 PrepLogic Video Training course for 70-291. This includes some excellent QA and lab simulations.
6. Preplogic 70-291 Study questons. (OK)
7. Transcenders for 70-291. Used as last minute gauge of readines. I also went through all of the sims/drag and drops one last time before the exam.

BTW, I got a 790 on the Transcender test that I took this morning.

I studied off and one for almost 4 months. Intensified efforts in the last six weeks, and the past week was almost nothing but studying/labs for 10-12 hours a day...with the weekend prior being the kicker.

Now on to Security+, since it fits in better with what I'm currently doing. I'll tackle 70-270 after that for my MCSA.

I hate to plan to far out, but CCNP is probably after that unless the bosses point me in the direction of MCSE. I'd really want to be working in a W2K3 shop before I went that route.

Cheers...
WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
Start Date: 01 October 2012
QFT1,PFIT in progress.
TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congratulations! Good post too icon_thumright.gif
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Good job, George!

Congratultions!
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job George!
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice Job!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    Congrats!
    Thanks for the good review.
  • jimmyp83jimmyp83 Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    georgemc wrote:
    LOL...by the skin of my teeth.

This was probably the hardest exam I've ever taken. My score was 760.
    Had to go back at the end and finish two of the sims. I was almost finished with both but couldn't remember where to go to complete that one last item. I just went through and tried every option until I found something that worked. Once I got a screen/window I recognized I was home free.

I did strongest in "Implement, Manage, and Maintain Name Resolution" and weakest in "Implement, manage, and Maintain Routing and Remote Access". I really thought I studied well for RRAS, oh well.

WSUS, RRAS, and DNS seemed to have been the hardest hit. I also wish I'd have brushed up on group policy a little.

My main weakness probably lies in the fact that I don't work with the technology on a regular basis. My main background is in routing and switching. I'm currently working in Boundary Protection (Firewalls, HBSS, IDS, IPS, etc.). Although I haven't got much hands on with them yet either...lol.

Study materials used included:

1. This web site/these forums.
    2. MS-PRESS Exam 70-291 Self-Paced Training Kit, 2d Ed.
    3. Lab set up as in above book.
    4. Syngress MCSA/MCSE Exam 70-291 Study Guide (I didn't use the DVD)
    5 PrepLogic Video Training course for 70-291. This includes some excellent QA and lab simulations.
    6. Preplogic 70-291 Study questons. (OK)
    7. Transcenders for 70-291. Used as last minute gauge of readines. I also went through all of the sims/drag and drops one last time before the exam.

BTW, I got a 790 on the Transcender test that I took this morning.

I studied off and one for almost 4 months. Intensified efforts in the last six weeks, and the past week was almost nothing but studying/labs for 10-12 hours a day...with the weekend prior being the kicker.

Now on to Security+, since it fits in better with what I'm currently doing. I'll tackle 70-270 after that for my MCSA.

I hate to plan to far out, but CCNP is probably after that unless the bosses point me in the direction of MCSE. I'd really want to be working in a W2K3 shop before I went that route.

Cheers...

I took 291 for the second time and got a 700 exactly. Hello MCSA