Options

MCTS Exam 70-431

Anyone know much about this new SQL 2005 test. I been thinking that it might be a good idea to understand how SQL databases work and the correct way to install, maintain, and recover SQL servers in case I am one day asked to admister them.

I don't really have a desire to be a DBA though so I am wondering if studying for this exam would provide what I am looking for or just be really over my head with a bunch of SQL query talk.

Anyway I would love to hear anyone's opinion.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I can relate. I have always liked computer servicing and networking, but funny enough I recently got a job as a Database Analyst. We use Oracle, which I have no experience with, so I was thinking about preparing for perhaps the Oracle OCA cert. just to get some head knowledge.

In terms of this MCTS, I was actually looking at this the other day too. One exam, seems pretty straight forard material, I kinda want to go for it just to see how the new certificates look. LOL....
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I deal with SQL databases everyday and I think this is defiantly a good certification to get. After I get back on the grind and finish my MCSA I am going to start studying for this.

I think a Windows Admin combined with SQL skills is key in todays world.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Here's the page describing the MCDBA cert, and links to the MCTS and MCITP certs for SQL Server 2005.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdba/default.mspx
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    bigsheep:

Let me know what you think of oracle if you decide to dive into it. I know Enterprise is the only edition of SQL that supports replication with Oracle... So anyone with Oracle experience I would imagine makes bookoo bucks.

I am studying between my MCSA stuff and the MCTS for 2005 sql right now. The sql stuff is A LOT of memorization.