Anyone try CBTnuggets for CCNP? Any other sources?

optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
Amazingly, there is only really one source I know about (the Cisco Press book), with current CCNP BSCI material in it. I was looking around the forums and noticed some postings about CBT Nuggets videos. I have also seen reference to Trainsignal vids. Trainsignal isn't even close I don't think to coming out with new vids for BSCI but Nuggets appears to be having one come out on March 28th.

Before I plunk down more of my money, has anyone tried the old series of Nugget's videos for CCNP before? Did they seem worth the money to you (did you actually learn something)? Sometimes videos really suck, especially if the presenter is not that great.

Please let me know what you think. icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    I have the CBT Nuggets for the old BSCI.

Having used Learnkey and Testout for CCNA, my opinion of Nuggets is that they are absolutely boring, boring, boring. The guy talks slow and kind of like that high-school-counselor-AKA Mr. Makey voice. Plus he fumbles on himself alot, screws up commands alot when he first tries to type them in and then tries to play it off by making yet another long, boring sentence about spelling or being alert.

Of course the info is useful and relevant, even to the new test I am sure. But I just can't watch this guy and stay focused and attentive. I used to think the Storm-meister in Learnkey was way too excited and I was constantly requesting him to lower his eyebrows (but he never listened to me!!!), but I'll take the Storm-meister anyday over that Nuggets dude.
    PS - I REALLY WISH Testout made stuff for CCNP!!!!!

I really liked that CBT.
  • monkey_ninja3monkey_ninja3 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MODERATED

I hope youre not talking about Emilio Valdez from nuggets, he is a legend!

I viewed his tutorials for ccna, damn he's really articulate, and speaks at quite a good fast pace as it is, so I dunno how you can say it's slow.
    His tonality is upbeat and is very coherent.

Yea he mistypes a lcharacter here and there for a second - who cares?? Would you prefer some **** to have edited the video or start again, just 'cause he mistyped a character?? Thats basing the integrity soley on presentation, and style - thats totally naive .. salesmen would con you.

These videos should be based on substance, it's amazing. The lessons are logically divided, and puts related small topics into 1 genre, so much easier to remember.

To say its boring, is understandable, its a damn boring topic to sit and learn, yet you complain he tries to lighten the mood by being witty, dude check out the intro's, they're funny as hell, he doesnt take himself too serious yet he's incredibly intelligent.

He conveys it with great anologies, he tries to throw a bit of fun in there, but moves straight on - it's .. the intro's for each one is fantastic!
    Yea the downside is that he may condenscend like we're idiots - but the truth is, compared to him, we are .. and it's good he does that, so we can learn quicker and faster.
    HE also demonstrates everything he says pratically, at a well even pace so you can copy it simuteneously.

MODERATED

NinjaMonkey
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Alright, before we start hurling feces in here. . .

I think the instructor for the older CCNP videos, (at least on BSCI) is Michael Shannon. He is a bit dry, not nearly as engaging as Emilio Valdez is. Hopefully, Emilio will come back and do the new round of CCNP videos for CBT Nuggets. Of course, the thing we have to remember is this, it's not about how exciting you think the instructor is, or if a person makes spelling errors, or even if you really, really, really like the instructor. . . in the end, the videos are training resources, and what matters is the information you take from them. We can always hope for interesting and thought-provoking study material, but we take what's given, and we learn as best we can. The important thing is that we learn.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    The old BSCI CBT Nugget was informative, but Michael Shannon http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/trainers?id=16 is unfortunately often dry - though he is very knowledgeable and authored the excellent Exam Cram BSCI book.

The new CCNP series is being done by Jeremy Cioara http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/trainers?id=20. Jeremy did the current CCIE R&S series, which is very good and engaging. His energy level and sense of humor keep your attention much better.
    Yep, the one I have is by Michael Shannon.

Anyway, what is the deal lately with all the insulting? Is it really worth your energy and time to actually generate the feeling of being disgusted because someone on the internet has an opinion that you don't agree with?

Are they putting something in the food over there in the US? You guys seem a bit hostile.
  • -prophet--prophet- Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hope youre not talking about Emilio Valdez from nuggets, he is a legend!
    He was talking about Michael Shannon. Of the 3 nugget guys I've seen, Emilio is the best. The CCIE Guy is really good. If you skip past Michael Shannon's "happy talk" at the beginning and go to the Nugget Introduction, then he's okay. But he strikes me as more of a "trainer" than a "networker" -- too many "music stories" (and I only have seen 3 of his nuggets).

And Dude -- proof read or preview your posts before you submit. In the future you probably want to delete any of your sentences that have "Dude" in them before you submit.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are they putting something in the food over there in the US? You guys seem a bit hostile.

Not all of us are hostile, but who knows what they put in our food? icon_lol.gif
    I LOVE Japenese food, at least the kind they make here in the US.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Im English mate, a lot of things disgust me .. like those french toilets with just a hole in the floor, or when people drink diet coke, and how the new mutant ninja turtles is just for kiddies, but i'm also disgusted he likes Japanese food, chinese food is much better!
    Dont take it personally bro - you gotta be awesome if you belong to this community
    Ive not checked out the other instructors and im still studying for CCNA, but youre right they do look less savy when I checked out their pics.
    I'll look out for it when/if I advance

So far I found the best resource to be this website and its forum, the people really make an effort and know what they're talking about.

Its my birthday today.

NinjaMonkey
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its my birthday today.
    NinjaMonkey

Happy Birthday. How old are you in monkey years? icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
    23 - I feel old man. Ive been studying this for 2 weeks non stop with no life. Im going out tonight - be a nice break .. but tmw onwards - one more week of no life learning cisco, 'till exam.
    We ninja monkeys opt for ninja years, where i'm a mere 3, unlike Mr . Miyagi whose very wise 110 ninja years old sage.
    NinjaMonkey