Options

What is the best material for studying the 642-552???

westy_onewesty_one Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

What is the best material for studying the 642-552 exam. It looks like Cisco has not updated their books for this exam....

Thanks
Same @#$% different day, and the it starts all over again......Isn't this fun.

Comments

• Options
    chager00chager00 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I may not be the best source of info, because I just failed the 552 exam, BUT...I didn't fail it miserably, and it's very fresh in my head. If you can afford to get the CBT Nuggets video for the old 551 exam and/or the Network Security Fundamentals book by Cisco Press, you'll get about 85-90% of what's on the exam. The other 10-15%, at least on the exam I took, was related to SDM, which isn't mentioned in the slightest in either of the sources I used. So you'd have to do what I plan to do before I retest in a couple of weeks: Find sources of information about SDM to study. Particularly, I'd say, the security audit wizard - not sure what it's actually called. There were 5-7 SDM questions on there, three of which were audit-wizard related, asking what "fix it" option you would choose to harden your router against a specific type of vulnerability or attack.

EDIT: SDM 2.3 User Guide?: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5318/products_user_guide_book09186a0080645da3.html
  • Options
    mw7301mw7301 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought a copy of the old 642-501 SECUR book for $1.50 and it does mention the SDM stuff that you referred to. I also have a copy of the Network Security Fundamentals book. My plan is to use both of these to cover the new objectives and see if I can pass the test that way since Cisco doesnt have a book out yet. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    chager00chager00 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! And make sure to read through Cisco's official list of what's covered on 642-552 and don't overlook anything. The SECUR book might cover an outdated version of SDM or something, I don't know. On my exam, there were lots of wizard-related questions, mainly the security audit. But notice that 3 of the 9 Major headings on the 642-552 Exam Topics page all mention SDM. It's a big chunk of the material. I am embarrassed to say that despite printing off a hardcopy and pinning it to my cubicle wall, I didn't really look that closely at it before testing. icon_razz.gif

I test again myself in 8 days, and I'm going through the SDM manual while using SDM to configure 2 virtual 7200 routers using Dynamips. It's awesome.
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    I am using the CBT Nuggets 552 Video and Network Security books
  • Options
    Just signed up for the 642-552 Exam will be taking it in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    vipmehtavipmehta Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I am using the CBT Nuggets Video too. I bought that last week and am planning to take the exam on May 2.

Fingers crossed all goes well. Also have got the Cisco Security Fundamentals Book which I plan to overview.

Anyone recommend good set of practice exams?
    Vip Mehta
  • Options
    Let us know how it goes!! :D
  • Options
    ninnacharuninnacharu Inactive Imported Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey u ppl...

whoever is wanting to study on SDM...i downloaded a bookf rom cisco website which seems very good...Cisco Router and Security Device Manager (SDM) Version 2.3 User’s Guide
  • Options
    pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
    ninnacharu wrote:
    Hey u ppl...

whoever is wanting to study on SDM...i downloaded a bookf rom cisco website which seems very good...Cisco Router and Security Device Manager (SDM) Version 2.3 User’s Guide

I found it very useful for the SNRS and SND exam.