CCSP to CCIE:Security

javastevejavasteve Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have one last exam left (IPS) to get my CCSP. Then I was thinking about going after the CCIE. How tough is the CCIE: Security v1 exam? I saw a post saying they were going to offer it until April 24, 07.

How much prep. do I need for the CCIE Security v1 or v2 written exam? Since I just passed the CCSP exams, I am hoping I have already done some of the work required for the CCIE security written exam. I work as a security admin on PIX firewalls all day long, so that should also help.

I'm guessing most of the hard work is going to be for the CCIE lab, and not the written exam.

Any comments/suggestions would be helpful.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I took the CCIE Security Written exam, it was the CCNP and CCSP almost equally that let me pass the V1 exam.

For the V2 CCIE Security Written Exam you may want to cover some of the "CCNP topics" on the V2 blueprint -- Doyle's Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 & 2 on the recommended reading list should be enough.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    I am in the same boat...I have one CCSP exam left...SNPA which i am going to take next week.

I have already bought the next book that I am going to read (CCIE Professional Development: Network Security Principles and Practices by Saadat Malik)

I am going to take it very slow with attempting the CCIE Security Written exam V2. All my certs are pretty much renewed for the next 2 to 3 years so I am not going to rush it. I printed out the V2 blueprint and the recommended reading list for the CCIE Security. I am going to read one book after the other and do some practical stuff at work.

Plus I have a big relocation coming up which is consuming a lot of my time at the moment. I am going to leave the beautiful City of Chicago and relocate to Dallas, TX. That will cut a little bit in my study time but until I got my house sold here in Chicago I am going to be a bachelor again. I will use that time to get as much studying done before the wife and daughter follow.

Anyway, good luck to you javasteve...and mikj412 are you still on for the R&S this year or are you trying to get the Security lab out of the way (or maybe both?)?

Mike
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikj412 are you still on for the R&S this year or are you trying to get the Security lab out of the way (or maybe both?)?

Yes to R&S (and yes to both :D). R&S is up first, followed by a Security V2 attempt.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • javastevejavasteve Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We are definitely in the same boat. I have been looking at some of the other posts, and it is finally dawning on me that I am going to have to give up everything for the next 6 mos to 1 year, if I expect the get the ccie anytime soon.

The CCSP exams are tough, but achievable. But the CCIE -- that's totally different.

I have to renew my MCSE 2000 to 2k3 so I may do that first, and then focus totally on the CCIE.

I went to Cisco CCIE forum, and Yusuf Bhaiji, who is a Cisco proctor for the CCIE V2 exam, made a few recomendations on book for the CCIE security exam:

Cisco ASA: All-in-One Firewall, IPS, and VPN Adaptive Security Appliance (Frahim, Santos, ISBN# 1587052091)
    CCSP IPS Exam Certification Guide (Carter, ISBN# 1587201461)
    Cisco Access Control Security: AAA Administration Services (Carroll, ISBN# 1587051249)
    Comparing, Designing, and Deploying VPNs (Lewis, ISBN# 1587051796)
    IPSec VPN Design (Bollapragada, Khalid, Wainner, ISBN# 1587051117)
    The Complete Cisco VPN Configuration Guide (Deal, ISBN# 1587052040)
    Troubleshooting Virtual Private Networks (VPN) (Lewis, ISBN# 1587051044)

Good Luck!

I am in the same boat...I have one CCSP exam left...SNPA which i am going to take next week.

I have already bought the next book that I am going to read (CCIE Professional Development: Network Security Principles and Practices by Saadat Malik)

I am going to take it very slow with attempting the CCIE Security Written exam V2. All my certs are pretty much renewed for the next 2 to 3 years so I am not going to rush it. I printed out the V2 blueprint and the recommended reading list for the CCIE Security. I am going to read one book after the other and do some practical stuff at work.

Plus I have a big relocation coming up which is consuming a lot of my time at the moment. I am going to leave the beautiful City of Chicago and relocate to Dallas, TX. That will cut a little bit in my study time but until I got my house sold here in Chicago I am going to be a bachelor again. I will use that time to get as much studying done before the wife and daughter follow.

Anyway, good luck to you javasteve...and mikj412 are you still on for the R&S this year or are you trying to get the Security lab out of the way (or maybe both?)?

Mike
  • javastevejavasteve Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Onward to the CCIE!!!
  • rajesh_naveen15rajesh_naveen15 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear Friends,

I also working for CCIE Security but could not find any video stuff to study can you please provide me the link where i can download the ipexpert or internetwork expert video stuuf
    Rajesh Agrawal
    CCSP, CCNA, MCSA