http://www.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/mediatopo.shtml
10BaseT (802.3u)

Uh, shouldn't that be 802.3i ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.3
Regg'

"Life without knowledge is death in disguise."

Comments

• mastercormmastercorm Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    802.3u is for fast ethernet -100Mbps over CAT5. You seem to be correct.
    Working towards MCSE w/Security, then CCNA, then CCSP, and, eventually CISSP
  • slothropslothrop Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good find. All the way from Japan, no less.
    My craft beer reviews at TheBarleyWhine.Com
  • jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    slothrop wrote:
    Good find. All the way from Japan, no less.

Would it have been less impressive if he was from the US/UK?

User: Look WebMaster, I found an error!
    WebMaster: OK, but I'm not impress! It's not like you're from Japan or something! ... icon_twisted.gif
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • initialdinitiald Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would it have been less impressive if he was from the US/UK?

User: Look WebMaster, I found an error!
    WebMaster: OK, but I'm not impress! It's not like you're from Japan or something! ... icon_twisted.gif

gotta love smart a**es :D
    Regg'

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I would have appreciated a more 'subtle' subject like 'TechNote typo', but using Wikipedia as a reference that's just harsh icon_wink.gif Thanks, definitely a good catch, especially considering this is one of our most read TechNotes. Uploaded fixed version.
  • initialdinitiald Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would have appreciated a more 'subtle' subject like 'TechNote typo', but using Wikipedia as a reference that's just harsh

Sorry. I'll do better next time. icon_confused.gif
    Also, I guess "error" was a bit strong. icon_confused.gif

I know you guys know your stuff! :)
    Regg'

No problem at all, notice the wink ^^. I'm just not a big fan of Wikipedia although it obviously continues to improve. I always appreciate feedback so don't hesitate to let me know if you find anything else, which of course I don't expect icon_wink.gif
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Wikopedia is a joke. Can't anyone just go and edit any page they want on there?
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
    markzab wrote:
    Can't anyone just go and edit any page they want on there?
    They can in most cases but wiki software keeps a backup of older version so moderator like account can move it back. But that's indeed one of the problems with wiki, but, on the other hand also on of its stronger points. Multiple editors are more likely to make more mistakes, but also more likely to catch more mistakes. I think it can be very useful to look for basics, links, get a quick overview, but as an IT professional studying for IT certifications you're generally better of by using multiple study sources that are written for the cert/exam. And when in doubt go back to the source. In this case for example, you could download the ieee 802.3 PDFs and you'll find an 'authorative' answer. Another problem is that it sometimes grows too fast and quantity becomes more important than quality. This is getting less of a problem once people start improving the entries. All in all I think it's a nice additional tool. And that's actually also the purpose of our TechNotes, an 'additional' tool.

Personally I rather use Google. You can get the same benifit of having multiple editors by using google to compare multiple articles about a certain technology yourself. It's often very doable to determine whether a site is reputable and reliable (for example manufacturer or standardization organizations site are usually correct and can be consider authorative). Combine that with some good certification study material and hands-on practice and you'll have a tasty cigar, err.. I mean a good recipe for passing any exam.