Windows 2000 or 2003 Track?

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
I passed exam 70-210 in august, I was wondering if I should just change to mcse 2003 track instead of the mcse 2000 track? Will the 2000 track be retired anytime soon? just worried I won't finnish in time!

D-boy

Comments

• pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    There is no timeframe when the 2k track will retire yet. You will still have a good amount of time to finish it up.. Also when you get done, you just have to take 2 tests to upgrade to 2k3
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Thank you, I'll stick with 2000...
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I think if you haven't taken more than one exam, you should go on to the 2k3 track. It's just an idea, but I'll tell you why. When I passed my first exam in the Vs6 track of the MCSD cert, I heard of .NET but didn't bother. I took my second exam but still didn't bother. Although the .NET exams weren't out then, I could've saved at least 600-800 dollars in both exams and training material if I went on with .NET. This is because I'll always have to spend at least the same amount of money I spent on the Vs6 track since it's totally new material in most places.

Although I'm quite sure win2k3 and win2k are not that different, I'm sure you'll have to spend the same money and effort a second time. This comes back to the issue of wheather we can keep up with MS or not. That's not a decision that can be taken easily, but based on what happened to me, I believe it really would be a good idea to start on with the new track if you haven't went way into the old one.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    But keep in mind right now the highest paying Mcse is the NT. I think when NT is finally phased out, and 2k3 is more widely spread alot of company's will be using w2k because it is cheaper.. (not that A 2k3 cert wont work for that).. Also when MS phased out the NT track, they sent vouchers mcse's so they can take upgrade tests for free. (at least my buddy got one.). So that is why i suggest the 2k.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I certainly agree with you on that point. In fact, that's why I'm still on the payroll with my Vs6 track cert. It would take my company no less than 100K to buy and move to the new technology. Not only will it have to pay a lot of money migrating, it will need to train all it's programmers which is really expensive.

So yes, I agree with you on the point that companies are not going with the wave as much as we are because they're looking at some serious money if they do so.

And you know what, our CTO is a programmer in COBOL -I'm not sure if you know that language, but it's like why back in the days. He prefers writing .bat files rather than using simple automation tools pre-built in most systems. And of course, he's being paid 10 times the money I'm getting.

I'd say by the time win2k3 is popular enough, at least 70 percent of the people will still be on w2k systems. It will take a while -perhaps a couple of years, for most people to be on the w2k3 system.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.